Moloch made of resin
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Moloch made of resin
03-16-2015 11:06 AM
RE: Moloch made of resin

Don_Silvarro Offline

Material and method of production issues tend not to be funny, and can actually ruin a business in no time flat.

(03-15-2015 08:25 PM)laurens Wrote:  that's a whole other type of casting (rotation casting). the price of that kind of casting is also a whole other thing !

Not sure what you mean by rotation casting, but the most common method of casting metal minaitures actually is spin or centrifugal casting. I'd be very surprised if Megalith uses any other method.

Doing mostly hollow miniatures isn't a problem with spin casting, provided you do it by making the hollow part actually two parts - two conical halves of the main body, for example. That is only possible if you are technically able to cut up the master model accordingly for tooling the initial mold. With big and complex models, that is usually only possible if the master model was specifically sculpted with that in mind. My guess would be the Moloch wasn't and will come with solid torso part cast in resin.

Fun fact, molding and casting technology went leaps and bounds in recent years and, with the right gear and techniques, actually makes it possible to spin cast resin and plastic materials without compromising detail. The various sprueless PVC plastic miniatures that have been cropping up from Mantic Games, Privateer Press, Avatars of War and the like are actually spin cast.

Other than that, to be honest I never understood the fixation some people have about metal models. While I can understand someone can prefer one type of material over the other (I'm a fan of the mentioned new sprueless PVC plastic, even over traditional styrene plastic), I've known people that present almost religious fanaticism about metal miniatures, to the point of making fun and refusing to play with anyone who didn't have a 100% metal collection. Always seemed like some sort of weird hipster thing to me, even before hipsters were a thing :-p

Bottom line is that metal is impractical for many applications. I don't think I have to invoke Halodyne spear and staff shafts. Size and weight is also an issue. Personally I think ogre-size miniatures are the limit of what you can feasibly do in metal, anything bigger becomes awkward to produce, assemble, store, transport and game with. The point about metal allowing more detail is simply a myth at this point - with the right tools and skills, modern technology allows even steel-cast styrene plastic to have the same or higher level of detail. With clever tooling and mold making, you can even do poses and details that would be awkward or even downright impossible to replicate with metal casting. Only real advantage metal has over anything else is the ability to re-use leftover material, miscast bits and even unsold models sitting in your warehouse. But that is in part offset by the higher cost of metal as a resource in the first place.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2015 12:31 PM

laurens Offline

(03-16-2015 11:06 AM)Don_Silvarro Wrote:  Not sure what you mean by rotation casting, but the most common method of casting metal minaitures actually is spin or centrifugal casting. I'd be very surprised if Megalith uses any other method.

its the same type of molding like a closed one piece chocolat.
a specific wait of chocolat (metal) is injected in a 2 piece mold and closed.
the machines spins and at the same time the mold rotates so that every part of the mold is covered in chocolate (metal in this case). after setting the mold is opend and you get a one piece hollow model

fond one vidio of this with chocolat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuDPL3eFxi8

Club: The Green Knight

"You have to learn the rules of the game.
And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015 12:39 PM by laurens.)
03-16-2015 01:18 PM

Don_Silvarro Offline

That's the same principle I was referring to and what's shown in the Mantic video, though I get the impression we're thinking about slightly different scales of the parts being cast. Anyway, I'm afraid chocolate and molten metal are very different materials with very different qualities, everything from surface tension to melting point temperature. And then each requires molds made out of different materials as well. What you are proposing might be possible with chocolate (don't know, never saw a holiday chocolate figure made) but sheer physics make it impossible with molten metal.
Very cool video, thanks for sharing. Suddenly got a huge craving for chocolate :-p

Though unfortunetly, that method would never work with metal due to different surface tension, temperature, cooling time and the requirement for a flexible mold, as well as a very different scale of the parts cast.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2015 01:33 PM by Don_Silvarro.)
03-16-2015 01:49 PM

laurens Offline

I can cast chocolat models and I now how to play with metal models.
I can't cast metal models but I know how to eat chocolate ones.

Club: The Green Knight

"You have to learn the rules of the game.
And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein
05-03-2015 08:55 PM

Madcat Offline

Hey guys, I found a video. It is about the Tactica fair in Hamburg (and ist in german). At 7:32 you can see André with the Moloch. This thing is HUGE. I think its understandable that its made of resin....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6zAe4W6wSk
05-04-2015 10:32 AM

CptBartender Offline

(05-03-2015 08:55 PM)Madcat Wrote:  I think its understandable that its made of resin....

Understandable? Maybe.
Preferrable? Definitely not.

There are even larger metal miniatures.

Imagine trying to lift a really heavy bag only to spring with it upwards because it turned out to be almost empty - I'm pretty sure everyone's felt that at least once in their life. Now imagine going through it EVERY time you're moving your largest, meanest, heaviest beast on the table... The one, that's supposed to be the mean one. And it feels like a piece of styrofoam.
05-04-2015 10:55 AM

Mnil Offline

+1 Cpt Wink

[Image: polanduserbar.png]
05-04-2015 07:45 PM

Markgrafgero Offline

Resin with metal parts will be heavy enough. Sure its not the mighty bong when you throw the cyclops on the table.

But i would prefer an available moloch anyway. Where is it?
05-05-2015 10:35 PM

Madcat Offline

Quote:Understandable? Maybe.
Preferrable? Definitely not.

There are even larger metal miniatures.

For me, mainly the casting quality is important. I'm fine with resin. Regarding the level of detail, it is the best material. As longs as ist is no restic dirt, I'm fine....Smile
05-06-2015 07:47 PM

spy Offline

I agree with Madcat.

Resin, metal, hard plastic.
All materials are fine as long as the Quality is good.

And I agree with Markgrafgero: Where is the Moloch?!?