Fist game with Nordgaard
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Fist game with Nordgaard
02-19-2015 06:16 PM
Fist game with Nordgaard

Atomicaphex Offline

Hi,

Played my first game against my usual gaming opponent the other day. It was a great experience. I have been tabletop gaming for around 25 years and have played several different games. This is the first time ever that our first game felt like an actual game. Usually the first game is spent trying to get the rules and remembering what does what and where. Not this game. Very nice and intuitive rules!

It was my Nordgaard force against his Troglodytes.

His list was:
Duskborn Chieftain
Feral Fleshpounder
Feral Greyhorns
Ironhide Brutes
Feral Hammerfist

My list was
Runegate Keeper
Brewer of Odrorir
Chainslayer
Einherjer
Bloodvarg

We played "Open Battle" and it resulted in a draw.

I was pretty much a straightforward clash in the middle. None of us felt like trying anything too fancy in our very first game. My Bloodvarg charged his Greyhorns but was quickly killed. My Chainslayer did the whirlwind thing, but was charged by the Brutes and quickly went down as well. His Fleshpounder killed the Brewer. My Einherjer managed to avenge the fallen by charging his Fleshpounder and one-round it in proper dwarfish manner. Rest of the game was pretty much a slow grind. My Runegate Keeper ended the game surrounded by the remaining Brutes. Very cool and cinematic! My Einherjer killed the Greyhorns and the Hammerfist, and when the game ended, the leader of the Einherjer was still going toe to toe with the Duskborn.

All in all a great game, and we are having another game tomorrow.

I'm wondering what to get for my Nordgaard next?

I would rather have several factions, than one large with all the options (which is usually the way I approach these things). My next faction(s) is going to be either Halodynes or Banebeasts. Before I begin collecting any of those, I need a few more things for my Nordgaard collection.

So far I have:

Warsmith
Runegate Keeper
Brewer of Odrorir
Valkyrie
Chainslayer
8 Fjell Warriors
5 Einherjer
Fjellgangr
Bloodvarg

I know I want to get another chainslayer. That guy is just too much fun. I feel pretty confident that another group of Einherjer will be great as well. I like the idea of a ultra small elite warband of rock hard dwarves. I'll get the toughborns as well when they are released. That's already a lot of things! But I want to get one more unit for the faction before I move on to either Halodynes or Banebeasts. I can't decide between the Kinswords or another unit of Fjell Warriors. it's Impossible to decide. Should I go all dwarf and focus on the Clan and Guild, or should I focus on the Clan sub-faction and have access to a more varied warband?

Thanks for reading Smile

Thats all for me now Smile

/Atomicaphex
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2015 06:32 PM by Atomicaphex.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2015 10:23 AM
RE: Fist game with Nordgaard

Thorimo Offline

Hi, i play the Norgaard too.
Don't use the Brewer or the Valkyrie much. (don't like them Wink )

I use my Fjellgangr and Chainslayer alot. The Grab 'n Drag of the Chainslayer is very usefull to place enemy models there where you like them.

Keep your models and unit in a compact group, so you can quickly react to the faster enemies.
02-20-2015 11:02 AM

Atomicaphex Offline

Hi,
Thanks for the input! I was not very impressed with the Brewer either. I feel that at 25 points he brings too little to the table. I'll try him some more though.
02-20-2015 01:16 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Hi Atomicaphex.
Its always great to get feedback. And its interesting to hear from a first-time player that the rules were easy to grasp. Its something we tweaked a lot before the final version of the rules - making it intro-friendly while still retaining a lot of depth.

For the Nordgaard I personally prefer large warbands with low-level troops so I would recommend to get a second unit of Fjell Warriors. That's because all your current models have good synergies with them.

Skynnfyrd does give you a little more speed, which can allow you different strategies to the usual Dwarven strategies. But you could get those later. The Scarjarl warlord will be released in about a week so you could later build a Skannfyrd warband.

Halodynes and Banebrood will offer you two more styles of play which are both very different from Nordgaard and from each other.