Gnolls? Why bother?
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Gnolls? Why bother?
01-26-2015 01:33 AM
Gnolls? Why bother?

crimsontree Offline

I've been running gnolls in Troglodyte warbands recently and I've not had very much success. The Oakbows don't have enough models and the 6 that I can deploy aren't taking out enough of the opponents with their single shots with MIS 5. The Packlashers are only useful as support and buffers. The gnolls in general are very squishy. I've had very little success with gnolls versus Halodynes, Nordgaard or Mortans. I've tried to use gnolls as skirmishers and tried guerrilla tactics but they can't evade the opponents and aren't powerful enough in melee or missile combat. I like the background fluff of the gnolls but I currently don't see the point of running them in a Troglodyte warband.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2015 01:45 AM
RE: Gnolls? Why bother?

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

A gnoll-tactic which I saw succeed several times was just spamming the table with gnoll arrowfodder - no trolloth, no nothing, just gnolls.
A huge swarm of reaver runts, a filthling, a lasher and one unit of oakbows. Try to outnumber the opponent as much as possible in any close combat, while the wl and the oakbows keep behind a bit to shoot at flanking/stray enemies.

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2015 01:51 AM

crimsontree Offline

Unfortunately I don't have lots of Reaver Runt models to spam the board but I suppose I can proxy them. I assume gnolls were thoroughly playtested and there must be some usefulness and variation to them. I haven't been able to see much depth or synergy with the rest of the Troglodyte faction.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2015 09:49 AM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

If you want to see the gnolls triumphant, then it's all about charging first... Smile
There was a phase in playtesting when all-gnoll-warbands even seemed to be a bit op, but further testing changed that perspective.

And I also see some synergies - for example shielding your Trolloth with some Runts, letting them suffer from the full brunt of the enemy, and then charge over them with the Trolloth, massacring the foes invested with the gnolls.

01-26-2015 10:15 AM

Klaxler Offline

Maybe I'm wrong, cause we made some mistakes with the last game, but as I think it is possible to keep Filthings and a Packlasher by two units of Oakbows, so you can support them with aditional Action Tokens to perform two shots each turn.
In the Center Stage Articles David describes them as a good shield for Trolloth...a good sacrifice. Trolloth can charge over them. I could not test this yet but seems to be quit useful. Smile
01-26-2015 11:25 AM

crimsontree Offline

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try the squishy tactics out.

Smile
Perhaps the terrain setup and unit deployment is part of the problem. I had 2 Packlashers, 2 Grondagh Filthlings and 2 units of Oakbows vs the Halodynes and in the 4 rounds of combat did not get to fire twice with either of the Oakbows. If the Packlashers and Grondagh Filthlings need to hang back next to the Oakbows to give them an extra shot, this seems like an expensive use of points and the Oakbows need a lot of support to make them more effective. The more support they receive, the less points I can spend on front line troops to slow down the advance of the enemy. I needed the Packlashers to also try and help the other unit of Runts and I had the Grondagh Filthlings try and get off shots with their bows.

The Fimbull Toughborns have more models in a unit and get Twin Shot with a 5 point spend. The Oakbows with their large bases are harder to manouvre in order to set up great shots and their MIS 5 and only 3 models in the unit limits them. Perhaps effective hit and run missile fire isn't possible with the Oakbows. Maybe Wave 2 will strengthen this dimension of the game.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2015 11:28 AM by crimsontree.)
01-26-2015 02:36 PM

Markgrafgero Offline

I think Troglodytes as a faction need more mixed troops than everyone else.
The troops dont have enough armor to survive the charge of a buffed unit (a normal one like Hoplites is enough to kill most of them) and they usually dont have enough tread range to charge first.
So either you need Lighteaters and their clouds, or something else in the first line. Volunteers?
I dont consider Gnolls as squishy, they are more "Hit=dead", so what. Just avoid AoEs and circular strikes. Dont make it to easy.
They eat up charges, make enemies waste some ACT (at least their Def is solid), screen vs missile fire, stand in the way and may even hurt something. The cost half the points from any other basic unit (if you dont count the Legio mortum).
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2015 02:45 PM by Markgrafgero.)
01-26-2015 04:06 PM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Where the Trolloth lack in versatile infantry, they have some awesome Warlords to consider.. Smile
But fear not, for wave 2 will already bring many more options, including mounted units and whatnot.

01-27-2015 01:01 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Raoul referred to some games with massive Gnoll warbands during playtesting. That would be me I think. I tested the gnolls in several games to see if they could be an effective melee warband on their own.
It worked most times.

GNOLL HORDE
I took 2 Filthling warlords and 3 Packlashers and 40 Reaver Runts in a 300 point warband. In most cases I was facing 10-15 enemy models.

Firstly success depends on Numbers and getting the charge.
This is not difficult in most cases because you can deploy so many units. When 10 Reaver Runts charge they can make 30 attacks at MEL6 POW3.

Even when taking on a unit of Einherjer, with 2 units of Reaver Runts, the sheer number of attacks stacks the odds in your favor.

Making 3 attacks is possible when using the Packlashers Whiplashing tactic together with assigned actions tokens from the warlord.

So when you have 40 Reaver Runts on the table, that's a potential 60 + 60 +60 + 40 attacks = 220 attacks per round.

Remember that they are Light Infantry, so they can charge 11 inches.

Secondly, use difficult terrain to your advantage because they have Wildwalker ability.

Thirdly The Packlashers are invaluable. Specifically they are useful for:
-Packlashing and for the extra ACT
-Raider for giving a unit of Reavre Runts advanced deployment
-Packleader to enable units to reroll failed LEAD tests.
-Rally - automatic rally of fleeing Gnoll units.

FILTHLING
The Grondah Filthling is best used:
- To give ACT to units
- Insidious tactic to enable a MOV action before charging!!!! That means Reaver Runts can effectively charge 14 inches.
- to shoot squishy things like spell-casters and buffing characters

I played them against medium-sized warbands with plenty of core troops and against elite warbands. I well remember winning most times with such warbands.

The best things that stopped them were:
-Multiple Horror causing creatures running around being scary
-AOE attacks and multi-model spells
- Shooting the packlashers

TROLLOTH COMBO
Another excellent warband I can recommend is the above with 2 Fleshpounders thrown in for a 400 point warband. The Gnolls shield the Fleshpounders from charges, then the Fleshpounders charge over the Reaver Runts.

OAKBOWS
Regarding Oakbows, I rarely used these in a Gnoll-based warband. I found them more useful as support in a mixed Trolloth-Gnoll warband led by Filthlings with 2 units of Tribal Brutes and a Fleshpounder for the muscle. 1-2 small units of Runts as a speed bump to protect the units.

2 Packlashers sit at the rear with two units of Oakbows, plus one of your Filthling warlords. In this way your Oakbows get to shoot twice per round unleashing 12 POW5 arrows at MIS 6 (because of Brace Bow). Thats 178 points for that combo, so it makes sense only in a large warband. 12 POW5 arrows every round is quite awesome against small, expensive, elite warbands (like Einherjer, Sons of War, Skulleaters, Carnifexors etc).

SHADOW TROLLS
I have never tried Gnolls in combination with Shadow Trolls, but I suspect there are not a lot of synergies there. I believe Shadow Trolls work best on their own or with Trolloth.

THE FUTURE
Gnolls will get a unit of light cavalry in Wave-2. We also plan several creatures for them and an "elite" unit of not-so-crap Melee troops.
01-27-2015 01:40 AM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Shadow Trolls are great, and adding gnolls to them does not change that. Wink
Seriously, I once tried to closely shield some Longshadows with the squishy folk while using the shadows to magical-attack-zap the enemy. It worked quite well for some time, though I was forced into one big bad melee at some point. Smile