Knoked down/ Expiry test
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Knoked down/ Expiry test
01-18-2015 07:44 PM
Knoked down/ Expiry test

Septimus Iulius Severus Offline

Good day everyone!
When a model is knocked down and is suffering from a continuous effect, does it need to spend the action token to stand up before or after rolling (and maybe spend AT) for the expiry test?
This is rather important for the Technocrat and his gas bomb.

Omnibus superstes Imperium est.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 10:01 AM by Septimus Iulius Severus.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2015 10:41 AM
RE: Knoked down/ Expiry test

udunsflame Offline

Hi Septimus,

In my opinion I think you first need to do the Expiry Test. It says in the rulebook: "A new test may be made at the beginning of each of the model’s standard activations in the following rounds to end a continuous effect"

So first expiry roll, after that you can stand up. If you have no more ACT you cannot stand up and stay knocked down...
Within the rules of Knocked down they only say you must first stand up before you do anything else. By which they mean, spending any other ACT on move, tactic, attack...
I don't see the expiry test as an action...

Club: The Green Knight
udunsminis
"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it"- Flint Fireforge.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2015 11:11 AM

Thanks Udunsflame, it makes sense, the problem was that the model might spend action tokens to increase the chance of passing the expiry roll.
Anyway, if a knocked down model passes the effect of gas that knocked it down in the previous round it still needs to stand up, right? Just to have everything clear.

01-19-2015 11:16 AM

udunsflame Offline

Yes indeed, it was knocked down from the previous round... so if it passes the new test. It is not longer affected (and again knocked down), but still needs to stand up.

Of which item/spell/effect are you exactly talking about?

udunsminis
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2015 11:48 AM

I'm talking about the effect "gas" of the Technocrat's gas bomb (I'm not 100% sure it's the correct name of the effect, since I don't have the rulebook with me).

01-19-2015 03:54 PM

udunsflame Offline

Ok, Thank you... It becomes a bit more confused:

An Affliction test is a passive activation...

An Expiry roll ... is not I suppose, because it is not stated in the rules...

Rulebook p.99 Knocked Down NOTE:
"A model may stand up at any time during its standard activation. It may not perform any other actions during its standard activation or perform any passive activations while it is knocked down."

I think this needs a solid FAQ... They must explicitly say if the expiry roll is a passive activation or not... (i hope and think it is not)

2nd: If you fail the expiry roll... You count again as knocked down... But then you would be able to stand-up in the same turn!!??? Don't you think?

udunsminis
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 03:57 PM by udunsflame.)
01-19-2015 05:41 PM

laurens Offline

2nd id Idd tricky one.

P101
"If the model fails the expiry test, it will still be subject to
the results of the continuous effect and may again test to end
the continuous effect in its next standard activation in the
following round.
"

I guess this means that the model counts as knocked dow (again) and losses his Standard activation.
the model can make a expiry test in the next round to end the continuous effect. (in witch he will use more act. to lower the difficulty just to be sure)

"You have to learn the rules of the game.
And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein
01-19-2015 05:48 PM

udunsflame Offline

OK, but if I read the rules correct:

Example:
- First round: a model gets hit by this gas and fails his affliction roll. He is knocked down. If the model has enough ACT left it can first stand up.
- Second round: It can be still knocked down or up from the previous round. It first has to make the expiry test. If it fails the test it is knocked down.
He should have enough ACT left and can stand up. But must retest expiry roll in the next round.
- And you could keep on going like that??? Ending this only if he rolls a successfull expiry roll...

There is nothing in the rules that say that a models standard activation is over after is knocked down... or I'm I missing something?

udunsminis
01-19-2015 06:03 PM

laurens Offline

First round: a model gets hit by this gas and fails his affliction roll. He is knocked down. it can end the effect in its next standard activation in the
following round.
(meaning: if he did not have a standard activation this round he can not stand up this round)

The rules say: it will still be subject to
the results of the continuous effect and may again test to end
the continuous effect in its next standard activation in the
following round.

and the effect off being knockd down is: It may not perform any other actions during its standard activation or perform any passive activations while it is knocked down.

"You have to learn the rules of the game.
And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 06:04 PM by laurens.)
01-19-2015 06:28 PM

Yes we need to know if the expiry roll is a passive activation. It's at the beginning of the standard activation therefore I don't think so, however it might be counted as an action, otherwise what is exactly?
@Udunsflame, yes you can stand up as many times you want in your standard activation, as long as you have AT left. However yes, if you don't pass the expiry roll you can go on being knocked down every turn. You can always pass the roll automatically if you spend 4 AT if you absolutely need. Annoying, but this is the way continuous effects were meant to be Wink.
If I remember correctly the Heartkill plague is something like that with a discipline test involved.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 06:29 PM by Septimus Iulius Severus.)