THE FUTURE OF TOKENS
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Poll: Would you like the new token idea?
Yes, makes it much easier!
No, I like the old design more.
I don´t care that much.

[Show Results]

THE FUTURE OF TOKENS
01-16-2015 06:50 PM
THE FUTURE OF TOKENS

André Offline
Administrator

All right, so we have thought of the token design again and we had an idea how to ease up the use of tokens:

Instead of putting the tactic and ability names on the token itself, we could simply add a white space on which you can simply write the effect you want to use the token for. As long as you do that with a non-permanent marker, you can simply clean the token after usage.

We do think that this would actually be better because you will not need to carry all those different tokens with you all the time and start searching for the correct one! Instead you simply grab one of those and write the effects name,, a shortcut, or anything else you can think of and which relies to the effect on the token directly.

This would also mean you will from now on get only two token cards with your miniatures: one that has 12 action tokens on it (6 warlord tokens, 6 normal ones) and 12 general tokens (6 of them friendly effects, 6 of them for self effects).

So let´s think about it and give us your feedback! Here you can see how the new design would look like:

[Image: Halodynes_ActionTokens.jpg]

[Image: Halodynes_Tokens.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 06:51 PM by André.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2015 07:46 PM
RE: THE FUTURE OF TOKENS

Blaze Offline

Plastic tokens ? if yea nice idea.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2015 08:01 PM

André Offline
Administrator

Actually plastic tokens are a future option as well! We are just preparing a cooperation with customeeples.com Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2015 08:29 PM

spielervier Offline

Plastic tokens would be perfect - regardless if they via partner or directly from you. Until then I like the idea of having "reusable" tokens a lot. Shortens time to find the right token in a specific situation (or before the battle).

It also would be nice to have different shaped tokens for the specific types. Helps even more to quickly find and visualize on the board what kind of token lies next to a miniature.
01-17-2015 01:20 AM

crimsontree Offline

I no longer use the paper tokens. I use metal washers for Action Tokens, 2 Penny pieces for the warlord tokens and coloured stone counters for tactics and spells. I have green tokens for tactics that end in the next activation and red tokens for tactics that end after the current round.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 01:22 AM by crimsontree.)
01-17-2015 02:50 PM

Madcat Offline

I have to think about the stretch goal of the kickstarter - unfortunately we didn't reach it.
You guys announced metal tokens. I think those in different shapes would be the most awesome solution!...Smile
01-17-2015 05:16 PM

CplHicks Offline

I use dice for action counters nowadays. For tactics et al this is an okay system/alternative, but as I use a limited number of those most of the time I like the effects printed on. Thus I voted don´t care much.
01-17-2015 06:24 PM

Don_Silvarro Offline

I use glass counters for action tokens and acrylic Warmachine/Hordes writeable tokens for spell and tactic effects. I've never seen anyone use the actual action tokens (those are replaced with dice or glass beads), status effect tokens are used from time to time but there's a lot of "I'll just remember that instead of spending five minutes going through a huge pile of mostly identical flimsy little pieces of paper" going on.

As far as I'm concerned Megalith might do away with including cut out tokens whatsoever - they're thin, flimsy, fiddly to use and simply ugly in their current form, hardly worth the effort. Writeable tokens are a very good idea, but if you want to do them, do them right - get a partnership going with a third party and do them in plastic, as a separate, purchasable accessory. MAS does the custom Godslayer bases, they also do laser-cut acrylic stuff so that's an option. If not, these days there's literally a new company doing laser-cut stuff sprouting every week. Switching to writeable paper tokens (and I am afraid paper tokens might have a dubious 'rewritability') and saying "acrylics someday if we feel like it" just seems not worth the effort. Do it proper or don't do it at all is what I say.
01-17-2015 09:33 PM

laurens Offline

I have Fantasy Flight Games Counters to mark the act.
and I like the tactic in other counters from Godslayers. and I mark them on the unit / model card.
I would buy plastic counters from Godslayer if they would be available

Club: The Green Knight

"You have to learn the rules of the game.
And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 09:34 PM by laurens.)
01-17-2015 10:14 PM

Septimus Iulius Severus Offline

Yes plastic tokens of the faction colour would be useful and very aesthetic. It seems there are a few of us now that would buy a separate plastic kit. This new paper system might be a nice temporary solution to ease things (and also save paper Wink) but, as Silvarro said, the final goal should be plastic tokens.

Omnibus superstes Imperium est.