Cataclysm Catapult question/request
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Cataclysm Catapult question/request
01-16-2015 06:41 PM
RE: Cataclysm Catapult question/request

crimsontree Offline

(01-16-2015 04:29 PM)Mnil Wrote:  We play 2 hills every game, every system, all the time at minimum, and there should be some hills on 48x48 tables every match when You play too. Smile

My group don't use hills every game and there's nothing in the Godslayer rules that say there should be hills. Perhaps my group could houserule this if the Mortans are playing.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 06:42 PM by crimsontree.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2015 07:38 PM

Blaze Offline

If Banbrood Can charge for 12-20 inches and it is powerfull or even OP then Catapult can be better, because now maybe it is fun to play but it is not very competitive. If we have to check Mortans we dont have somethings in there what is realy "wow" like in other faction.

Halodynes : Godquester, Chain Lighting, Even 4 dice for attack rolls.
Trolls : Cyclop, tons of directs, halving dmg, Lighteater
Banebrood : Epic Charges, Perm mutations and upgrades, Gorelord, Shaman
Nordgaard : Risilient 4+ , Einherjers, high armor, high power.
Wyldfolk : Megalith pass activation, Megalith acumulator, Cromlech guard Defiant in death abillity biglol, arrow direct dmg aoe (item), direct dmg.
Mortans : Centurion....... Carnifexers, Legio Mortum spam.

I realy added Carnifexers and Legio Mortum in case because they are just average for some reasons. Carnifexers are still weaker than the most elite 3/5 units. Legio Mortum is mech u can do well or totally fail because ur opponent will kill more than u can resurect.

Maybe I dont know somethings about my faction but I realy dont see somethings what is unstoppable in Mortans. In fact latest tournament in our country counted 0 Mortan players. Time to change faction ?
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 08:07 PM by Blaze.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2015 09:32 PM

Meph Offline

I think Mortans are the best faction right now, because of their wait-and-see play style Smile
01-16-2015 09:58 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Interesting comments.

It is really helpful to get feedback like this.

For Mortans I agree there is nothing super-awesome right now. but in 2-3 weeks I think you will have that - the Moloch. These creatures are in my mind the best creatures in Wave-1.

Carnifexors - good but not as awesome as Sons of War or Guthackers.
Legionnaires - very tough but not impressive.
Legio Mortum - Well we already had discussions with some people who suggested the subfaction is so powerful that it is broken, however I consider them good but not awesome.
Good but not awesome also goes for the warlords and the war-machines.

One thing I would say is that all those other awesome models and strategies you mentioned are offensive. Mortan Legions is the ultimate defensive sub-faction. I'm not going to quote stats here because its all in the books.

Secondly, all Mortans models and units are exceedingly cooperative and combinable - more than any other faction in my opinion. Yes, Wyldfolk have more power-synergies and Halodynes have more flexablility due to magic, but the actual models of the Mortans all work really well in conjunction with each other, even when mixing a few Magistratum items or a few Technostratum items. I mean if you randomly take a few items and throw them together as a warband, it works well which cannot be said of some other factions.

Mortans are the Tank faction of Godslayer with great armor and solid leadership. There are many cool combos possible even with just the starter box models. Have a read through the Centre-Stage arcticles:

Legionnaires

Centurion

Princeptor

Anyway besides the above, I think you still have a point that Mortans could use some more obvious "Wow-factor" in future releases.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 10:00 PM by David.)
01-16-2015 10:33 PM

Blaze Offline

Moloch is too expensive, and you recommend to use Undead as a tournament staple what im not happy about this. I readed your guides x times already ^^ Thanks again.

I would read your guides about Mortans warmachines/technocrat because it is the most interesting thing for me in mortans but in my opinion they are not as good as I though erlier. Please read my posts what I post today erlier about Cataclysm Catapult. I would like to know your opinion about.

Thank you again
(01-16-2015 09:32 PM)Meph Wrote:  I think Mortans are the best faction right now, because of their wait-and-see play style Smile

You are not serious. Real wait and see is Wyldfolk where u skip by Megalith stone and waste Scorpio/Catapults then move.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 10:35 PM by Blaze.)
01-16-2015 10:57 PM

Septimus Iulius Severus Offline

Blaze I agree with you on your previous point but I'm afraid my judgement sometimes isn't impartial Wink.
We lack something that is raw power on the offensive. The best playstyle for our faction is, at the moment, as Meph said, the wait-and-see kind, but it's not always fun and not very rewarding. It's very rare to find a Mortan player at the top in tourneys.
Personally I don't use Carnifexers because against shooty and low armor opponents they become arrow fodder and if they can finally catch their fox their power is excessive (legionnaires are your inexorable answer here Wink) Against other elites it's at best a bloodbath. They are useful against high armour but they need time to earn their points because they lack a tactic like circluar slash and don't have the survivability of Einherjers. They might be the demise of creatures but I never had the occasion to test them in this way.
I like the Legio Mortum because of the fluff, the minis and they are the most useful unit in the faction at the moment. They are however very balanced and not at all overpowered, try to get a Hill ogres charge in the face hahah. They also need the Mortifex or they plainly suck.
I love the Moloch for the miniature and the background (and I secretly hope for other undead constructs/spirit creatures like bound djinns or demons) but it's costly, it's difficult to use the awesome tactic flesh hammer, and its survivability is dependent on his subfaction ability and the support of a dedicated necromagus.
The legionnaires are one of the best units of the game, also because of their characterization. Their low power is a big problem against armor >7 however (I find it very balanced).
Our war machines can be useful but they are not game-changing.
Xistery are very very difficult to use.
The Centurion is cool but it does not shine, especially with defense 12 and mediocre shields.
The Mortifex is a very fun warlord but the best spell ashes to ashes was nerfed and he must be used to buff undead, which they direly need. However this is exactly what he was meant to do and I'm happy with it.
The Technocrat is very weak and situational. It can buff war machines but this way he can't support troops, he can't shoot and its abilities are situational as I said. His survivability is the lowest of the warlords together with the Filthlings bacause a DEF13, ARM6 must be covered by amulet choices that improve it a bit and use up the points needed for offensive and more useful choices. Oracle and Farfarer are in another league. The only thing which saves him from pure dullness is Carborane concentrate. Try and use it on Legionnaires and watch the opponent tremble. If you want an overkill put it on Carnifexers and have another round with those Einherjers.
Princeptors are useful but not remarkable and Necromagi are nice but not versatile since they must choose spells from a single set.

This said I love the Mortan faction. Of course I hope to see some of its weaknesses filled by new releases and hope we'll have choices for a faster and more offensive playstyle (the best defense is a strong offence Tongue). As David said, I tried a lot of combination and they can almost always work (for example I even got a victory with a queer list of 2 Necromagi, a Technocrat and 2 units of 5 and 4 Xistery). We surely don't have a shining model like Cyclops/ Godquester/ Einherjers etc but we cannot complain too much. I trust in the creators for new cool releases Wink.

In the meantime, as good Mortans, we will endure Smile.
(01-16-2015 10:33 PM)Blaze Wrote:  You are not serious. Real wait and see is Wyldfolk where u skip by Megalith stone and waste Scorpio/Catapults then move.

Indeed I find people do not fully grasp what a great tactical advantage a Megalith brings for just 19 points. That seemingly boring rock can totally ruin the opponent's plan.

Omnibus superstes Imperium est.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 11:38 AM by Septimus Iulius Severus.)
01-17-2015 12:05 AM

Blaze Offline

Thank a lot, your post motivate me. Time to find money for Legio Mortum x2 Also next 1-2 necro and when it will be released 1-2 moloch.
01-17-2015 12:28 AM

Septimus Iulius Severus Offline

My pleasure to help a fellow Mortan Wink. By the way, try to find the balance between Legio Mortum and more offensive units, because too many points invested in undead legionnaires leave your damage output potential on the low side. Lastly remember that the amulet ancestral crystal can turn a Moloch on the charge in a meat grinder and grow back teeth for undead troopers.

Omnibus superstes Imperium est.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 01:20 AM by Septimus Iulius Severus.)
01-17-2015 01:22 AM

Mnil Offline

Blaze, You are player since ONE MONTH i assume, so please, relax, read, study and practice first Smile It's too early for You to make any judgement... I have an idea: next time we play i can take Yours Mortans and i'll give You my Trolls/BB/lukas's Wyldfolk and i am quite sure that You'll say - Mortans are broken Wink

[Image: polanduserbar.png]
01-17-2015 09:17 AM

Blaze Offline

(01-17-2015 01:22 AM)Mnil Wrote:  Blaze, You are player since ONE MONTH i assume, so please, relax, read, study and practice first Smile It's too early for You to make any judgement... I have an idea: next time we play i can take Yours Mortans and i'll give You my Trolls/BB/lukas's Wyldfolk and i am quite sure that You'll say - Mortans are broken Wink

Ya Ya you are god of godslayer. everything is broken when you play Wink. Cheers.

Btw still didnt get answer about Leader. In 2 catapult boxes i didnt get small base for it and as i said model will look weird on it. I thought and it was reasonable that he is glued to the base of Catapult as it is showed on the ppainted picture. So ?
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 10:15 AM by Blaze.)