Cataclysm Catapult question/request
Megalith Games - Official Forums

01-16-2015 10:08 AM

Blaze Offline

1. So yeasterday I learned that Catapult have line of sight 1 and it cant shoot to enemy behind hills. because Line of sight of hills are 2 and line of sight of catapult crew is 1. I was just sure that if Catapult have 50mm base and it have big range it is possible to shoot everywhere except forests. For me it is just weird. Its like We cannot shoot to enemy on high towers and walls (Castle siege) because u dont see any single archer in there. It is big mistake and it make catapult really weak. In real situation Catapult is more to shoot and maybe crush/kill and not targeting single target to deal big dmg to some enemies lol. It is first thing.

2. Second thing if you miss u dont have deviation. So the wind is when you shoot but when you miss he dissapear? Another weird rule.

3. Third thing deviation hits with d1. Its good rule but it again makes Catapult a bit worse. I dont have problem with this just wanted to count this as a next weakness.

Last thing is our Leader. We didnt get small base to him so I glue him to base in this "steam punk ship" It is ok or he cant be glued..

If you make errata for things like Ashes to Ashes why Catapult couldnt get buff in point 1 or pont 2? Check maybe in warmachine how it looks. It is not my inventive idea and it is just more realistic even..

1. If 50 mm base have line of sight because leader is there it should be possible to make shoots behind small hills 1-2 sv.
2. Deviation is because of wind if you cant shoot to close enemies but it is realy close to him wind can make it happen.

I didnt wanted to be rude or somethings. It is my point of view. As I play mortans Legion/Technostratum it is thing what im sick about ^^. I would be realy happy with with even one change.
Thank you.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 10:09 AM by Blaze.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2015 10:23 AM
RE: Cataclysm Catapult question/request

Septimus Iulius Severus Offline

Hi Blaze, I'll try to answer.

1- While I agree that it would be nice for us Mortan to have a war machine that doesn't need line of sight to shoot, I think it would be too much powerful Wink. We can hope in a buffing character (engineer) that can order a tactic just for this purpose.

2- You do have deviation. The shot deviates in a random direction, determined by 1D6 on the AoE template. The entity of the deviation in inches is the difference (defense target - attack roll). I find this rule very logical.

3- I know this stinks but you can hope to set things on fire/acid Wink

This said, I believe the the catapult is very useful, but sometimes it can let you down, it's normal.
I hope our future war machines will be worth the cavalry we won't get Wink.

I forgot about the leader. I had a small base in my kit, maybe it's a missing part, try to email David. While it's cool to have the leader on the "cockpit" in game-terms it's a disadvantage because he block the catapult line of light and it's in a vulnerable position from ranged attacks.

Omnibus superstes Imperium est.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 10:26 AM by Septimus Iulius Severus.)
01-16-2015 10:43 AM

Blaze Offline

(01-16-2015 10:23 AM)Septimus Iulius Severus Wrote:  Hi Blaze, I'll try to answer.

1- While I agree that it would be nice for us Mortan to have a war machine that doesn't need line of sight to shoot, I think it would be too much powerful Wink. We can hope in a buffing character (engineer) that can order a tactic just for this purpose.

I dont want to remove line of sight from warmachine. You still cant shoot behind impas and forests. If normal Banebrood is sight value 2 and it see behind sight value 1 wall and it is adventage because my legion is all sight value 1. Why Catapult with leader in there cant be count as a sight value 3?

Why model should be glued to small base. Imagine how he move in this beer drum(barrel) Big Grin Ugly and comic.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 10:44 AM by Blaze.)
01-16-2015 11:00 AM

If there was a rule for it to be sight value 3 it would be worth it, but until, and if, an errata introduces this rule I don't see any advantage to put the leader on the catapult.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 11:33 AM by Septimus Iulius Severus.)
01-16-2015 11:46 AM

Euphoric Offline

The warmachine itself can not see. The crew has to be its eyes and they have sight value 1 Wink
01-16-2015 12:26 PM

Blaze Offline

When equiped with leader in he gains sight value 3 Wink ! No wonder it is uselees in scenarios.

Show me model who is more uselees in scenarios Ursurper for example than Scorpio and Cataclysm Catapult in whole Godslayer or maybe you like to play only double Legio Mortum 3 Necromagus and Mortifex lol

I realy love warmachines but everytime when I play Scorpio Im dissapointed and a now after last games Im really confused about Cataclysm Catapult which I have 2 ! Seems like this game favorise fast and furiours units with high power/tricks.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 12:32 PM by Blaze.)
01-16-2015 12:28 PM

Yes euphoric, you certainly have a point there. What I think Blaze meant is that a catapult shoots projectiles in an arching trajectory, therefore it would be reasonable to have a rule that allows to shoot models that are non in line of sight, behind obstacles. The tactic arching shot somewhat allows this but only with models. A sight value 3 would reduce the need of such a possibility. This is what I understood and I also though about it but I don't know if the catapult would be overpowered this way.

01-16-2015 02:17 PM

Mnil Offline

Just put the catapult/scorpio on the hill. Since ancient times it's been placing that way on the battlefield...

[Image: polanduserbar.png]
01-16-2015 02:19 PM

That's if you have a hill in your deployment zone, and since the terrain must be placed in an impartial fashion that's rarely the case Wink.

01-16-2015 04:29 PM

Mnil Offline

We play 2 hills every game, every system, all the time at minimum, and there should be some hills on 48x48 tables every match when You play too. Smile

[Image: polanduserbar.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 04:31 PM by Mnil.)