List suggestions and ideas
Megalith Games - Official Forums

01-13-2015 01:48 PM

Atomicaphex Offline

Hello,

I would appreciate a couple of suggestions for a banebrood army list around 300 - 400 points. I do not own a single Banebrood model yet, but I like to make plans.

The only thing in the army list that I'm not particularly interested in is Maldire Mongrels. The only thing I that absolutely have to be a part of the list is the Cyclops, because that model is just too sweet.

I already read about the 3 x Ursapine + 2 x Cyclops list. And even though it sounds great and fun that will have to be later.

Any ideas or thoughts are much appreciated.

/Atomicaphex
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2015 05:20 PM
RE: List suggestions and ideas

udunsflame Offline

Hi Atomicaphex,

Banebrood are very fun to play...
The nice thing about the Cyclops is that you can take him with any sub-faction and still use his sub-faction ability!!! That makes him extremely useful.
He has a massive amount of health points and he really needs them.
With his sub-faction ability he is very tough.
Although I am a bit dissapointed in his attack... MEL 6 MIS 6 is not that great...
I remember engaging a unit of 5 Legionnaires (my mistake) and was not able to kill 1 with the cyclops.... (OK, maybe my rolls we're not that good)
They killed him in 2 rounds....
His shooting eye is also a disappointment... I find it hard to hit something...
Range 8" is very close and when you fire at range 16" you get an extra penalty giving the cyclops a MIS of 5!!!
But I like the cyclops very much and keep playing with it.

I personally also am not very fond of the mongrel models, but I am very fund of there profiles. I really like playing with them, they can get you a very nice strategy because they are damn fast. And with a few upgrades they can be really tough. If you play Beastspawn, I really recommend them in your list then!

If you don't want to play them I recommend the list I played last week:

Reaver Tyrant 46
Be'al the executioner 8
Gut-Plate of Negirrath 6
Fleshmorph Draft 7
Bloodgut Ravager 28
5 Reaver Tribesmen 53
Cyclops 52

This is off course only 200 ptn.. But if you go to 300, I would first upgrade the tribesmen to 10 models! Take a fallow shaman and an extra bloodgut ravager.

Then for 400 point I would take an extra cyplops and an extra unit Tribesmen.

Grtz

Club: The Green Knight
udunsminis
"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it"- Flint Fireforge.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2015 05:23 PM by udunsflame.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2015 09:06 PM

Atomicaphex Offline

Hi Udunsflame

Thanks for the answer. Too bad if the Cyclops aren't that good, but I'll still give him a try. I might even afford the 200 points list you suggest, next month. Great stuff Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 01:41 PM by Atomicaphex.)
01-13-2015 11:35 PM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Well, in my opinion the cyclops is good, but you shouldn't think of him as a loner monster just smashing through the ranks of your foes on its own (in fact this can be said about most of the GS biggies).

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
01-14-2015 02:40 PM

udunsflame Offline

Raoul, That's exactly the point... I used him this way before, but he has other purpose. He shouldn't be used for direct encounter.
The cyclops is very good, but you have to choose your enemy very wisely!

That reminds me: His ability for leaving an engaged enemy without getting a free strike is very handy in a strategic point of view.

udunsminis
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 02:42 PM by udunsflame.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2015 03:07 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Ehm... actually you DO suffer free strikes. The enemy just don't get the normal +2 MEL/+2 POW bonus... But still pretty useful.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
01-14-2015 03:26 PM

udunsflame Offline

Yes, of course... sorry forgot about that, but it is indeed helpful...

udunsminis
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 03:26 PM by udunsflame.)
01-15-2015 01:34 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Keep in mind the Cyclops has POW 7 attacks, for 2 ACT or POW 3 attacks for 1 ACT. That's pretty awesome.

And MEL 6 is not bad. Remember Hoplites and several other core units have MEL5, which is the standard for militia troops. MEL6 is already professional soldier level. MEL 7 is veterans and lesser heroes. MEL 8 is for heroic guys and 9 is for badasses.

If we would give MEL 7 to the 33 life-point, POW 7 Cyclops, then his cost would be something like 65 because he would be unstoppable.

We don't like models that are perfect in everything, and so we do not create models like that (except Sons of War :-) ). Every model should have some minor drawback.

When playing Godslayer it is key to keep in mind synergies. Although creatures cannot benefit from ordered tactics, they can still be buffed with spells. If you give the Cyclops Long legs and Gigantic Jaws, he will have MEL 7 and be getting the charge most of the time (12 inches range), so he will normally benefit from the charge bonus. then assign him an action token.

Then you have a psycho monster with MEL 8 and POW 8 X3 attacks, or MEL 8 and POW 4 X6 attacks.

Regarding other models for Banebrood, I cannot stress how awesome Mongrels are when used right. They are amazing value for points. Go to the rules section of the forum, then Banebrood sub-section and read the Center Stage article on the Mongrels.

My personal preference is for large warbands of cheap troops with a couple of buffing characters.
01-15-2015 03:02 AM

Mnil Offline

(01-15-2015 01:34 AM)David Wrote:  . If you give the Cyclops Long legs and Gigantic Jaws, he will have MEL 7 and be getting the charge most of the time (12 inches range).
Actually i'll be 10 inch charge Wink

I agree with rest Smile (i'm BB player) Tongue

[Image: polanduserbar.png]
01-15-2015 08:57 AM

udunsflame Offline

First off all, I am not criticizing the Cyclops... I really like the model and like its rules! I just played it wrong in the beginning, because I thought it could be played as a stand alone monster. That is not the case. You cannot use him in the flank on his own... (depending off which enemies are on his flank side off course...)
Legionnaires are no match for him...
Like you say David, he becomes much more ferocious when you buff him.

I know there are a lot of people who do not like the models of the mongrels... And would not play with them. If someone is interested in Banebrood it because of the Tribesmen. Maybe that's the reason why I'm the only Banebrood player in our club... But I've read that there are new models on the way/being sculpted... so no more excuses for some of you [Image: wink.gif]
But I would also recommend them!! They are a VERY good strategic unit. When used right, you can almost do everything with them. They are very FAST! And they can do 2 ATTACKS each...

udunsminis