Megalith Games - Official Forums

Carnium - City of Blood Part 1
01-11-2015 12:57 AM
Carnium - City of Blood Part 1

David Offline
Administrator

A Terrain Building Article

Introduction
On the Plains of Tarticum near the north-east border of the Mortan Empire sits the city of Carnium.

Unfortunately Carnium lies directly in the path of the Banebrood army of Gargabald the Grim which is descending upon the empire right now. Its streets will be washed in blood in the near future of the Godslayer timeline. It therefore makes a good city to build for use at conventions and for photography.

Carnium is a good-sized city which is both close to the centre of the empire and also near the border of barbarian lands. Because of this, it possess both the savage freedom of provincial towns and the cultured grace of a Federati metropolis.
[Image: map.png]

My task is to bring Carnium to the tabletop (or at least a portion of it).

With limited time to get the project done, I decided to:
-Use suitable terrain models from manufacturers (Grandmanner and Monolith Designs).
-Produce the buildings those companies do not make using Hirst Arts molds
-Scratch build the rest

The Basic Plan
The city-scape will consist of 4 boards, so twice the size of a standard Godslayer gaming table. At one end will be a citywall and gateway into the city, which joins into a mountainous rock (which saves money on wall and breaks up an otherwise dull straight line. On the inner side of ther cliffs will be carved into the rock several cliff tombs. Below that will be a hillside, into which is built an amphitheater.

You can see a sketch of the basic plan here:
[Image: pdf043.jpg]

After entering the gateway there will be a colonade of pillars with lintel-stones across the top of them, leading to an arch which forms the entrance to the imperial forum.

The forum contains the main temples and government buildings, and on a hill overlooking them will stand the imperial temple and perhaps a coupls of wealthy mansions and villas.

Adjacent to the imperial forum will be another forum used for commerce, with trade stands etc. This is based on the ancient roman town forums - basically a town square surrounded by rows of buildings or walls. this will be partly scratch built and will use Hirst Arts parts for the roofs, although two of the entrances will be Grandmanner pieces.

In the far corner below the temple and rich hill there will be a poor area or subura. this will consist of tall, poor houses and a canal near the corner.

Styles
For the rich, imperial buildings I decided to use a purple marble.

for the poor areas the buildings will be made and bought in a typical ancient style. Although Ancient rome used red brick (sun-baked and kiln-baked) for poorer buildings, I wanted to stay away from that because it has a more modern appearance. I prefer to create something that looks more like Lucius Verenus' house in the series "Rome". so dirty poor, wooden frame with plaster walls.

For military buildings like the walls and for some of the streets I decided on a dark gray color.

Roofs will be terracotta for the most part.

That's all nice but its pretty dark and really needs an additional color to make the city look good so I decided on a very light Gray for medium areas like the Forum floor, the Amphitheater and some official buildings.

The Work So Far

So far I have been washing, undercoating and painting many of the buildings and moved on to casting and assembling other buildings with the Hirst Arts molds.

Here's some photos of some of the painted buildings in their general locations.

The outside entrance to the city
[Image: DSC_0906.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0907.jpg]

The colonade and military barracks on the side
[Image: DSC_0908.jpg]

The Imperial forum looking down from the hill[Image: DSC_0910.jpg]

Imperial forum looking up the hill with the Imperial Temple on the top left.[Image: DSC_0911.jpg]

The entrance arch looking back down the colonade. the entire forum will be on a raised level and each building will have steps in front of it.[Image: DSC_0916.jpg]
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2015 10:46 AM
RE: Carnium - City of Blood Part 1

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Gawd, that is awesome! And it makes my modular Gonatar board pale in comparison. Big Grin

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
01-11-2015 04:53 PM

Meph Offline

Loving it Smile
01-11-2015 07:42 PM

mavErik Offline

Looks Marvelous!

~ "I missed him by only mere inchimetres" (famous last words).
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 07:42 PM by mavErik.)
01-12-2015 01:12 PM

Blaze Offline

Hey David I have question if u can make 48x48 inches map Ghorn http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/up...-Ghorn.jpg

With bigger scale ofc. It would be awesome to have playmat like this. For example rules that u cannot move on oceans, when you see mountain its like difficult terrain same as forests etc. I think it would be awesome to play battles like this when for example one player starts in Northlands (Nordgaard) and second player on Transcephalos or Notara. What do you think ?
01-13-2015 01:05 AM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Do you mean as a campaign map or as actual battlefield for scenarios?

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
01-13-2015 02:08 AM

David Offline
Administrator

(01-12-2015 01:12 PM)Blaze Wrote:  Hey David I have question if u can make 48x48 inches map Ghorn http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/up...-Ghorn.jpg

With bigger scale ofc. It would be awesome to have playmat like this. For example rules that u cannot move on oceans, when you see mountain its like difficult terrain same as forests etc. I think it would be awesome to play battles like this when for example one player starts in Northlands (Nordgaard) and second player on Transcephalos or Notara. What do you think ?

You mean as a campaign tool, like divide the map into hexagons?
That's a good idea and has been used by many other historical games in the past for campaigns.

We would need to develop a set of rules for that, and it would fit better in a wargame rules system, but could work with Godslayer.

There are for sure rules around for other games that you could adapt for such a campaign.

I would recommend to start on a smaller scale with a particular region of the map. Photocopy a section and use a transparent hex grid over the top.

There are many regions where several factions are present. If you are looking for a place where absolutely all factions are located, then play in the region called Gonatar.