Halodynes 66.67% 4 66.67%
Mortans 33.33% 2 33.33%
Total 6 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

TOPIC: ONE HOOT TOO FAR – Mortans vs Halodynes 300
12-31-2014 12:05 AM
TOPIC: ONE HOOT TOO FAR – Mortans vs Halodynes 300

Meph Offline

Today I had a chance to play with two fully and beautifully painted armies, both owned by Aras. For the time being I'm just sticking the photos in here (and I swear I am getting a proper camera, a battle report with decent photos from today's game versus Sonny will follow shortly!).

Force Composition:
Centurion (Alchemite Scutum, Meteoric Spathe, Ashplate Lorica, Elixir of Life)
4 Legionnairies
4 Legionnairies
4 Carnifexers
Scorpio

vs

Oracle (Silversoul Encheiridion, Power Crystal, Potion of Argathon, Healing Hand, Killing Machine, Warcry, Chain Lightning)
Priestess (Killing Machine, Healing Hand)
Sacred Familiar
Syntarch
Sons of War
3 Hill Ogres
Cerberos

My forces were deployed as follows:
Scorpio on a hill to the left
Legionnairies
Carnifexer wall
Centurion behind the Carnifexers
Legionnairies on the right flank

Aras' deployment, from my left:
Cerberos
Ogres
Priestess behind Ogres
Sons of Wars
Oracle
Syntarch
Familiar

[Image: jR9aXAv.jpg]

Round 1

The first round was just positioning around the hill. The Priestess and Oracle supported the Ogres and Sons of War with Killing Machine and Warcry. The Cerberos charged full speed ahead, as did every other element in the army.

On my side, I went Testudo (or as Germans say it – SCHILDKRÖTENFORMATION!) with both Legionnaire units, moved up a bit, as did the Carnifexers and Centurion. The Scorpio took two shots at the Ogres and dealt four wounds to the leader.

[Image: uOP7GkU.jpg]

Round 2

The picture show the end of turn the round, so let us provide an account of what happened. I won priority and gave it to Aras, and, along with the next turn, since I passed, he just pushed some spells around. The difference was that now both the Ogres and the Sons of War had a combination of Warcry and Killing Machine. When it was my go I shot the Scorpio, but missed both times. Then the Syntarch approached, used Counterstrike, the Sons of War came up on the hill, and the Cerberos made a flanking maneuver near the board edge and towards the Scorpio. The Legionnairies replied by moving towards the Doggy. The Centurion used Coordinated Charge on the right-side Legionnairies and Carnifexers, then approached the Cerberos. Then my Legionnairies went a bit forward, screening the Carnifexers. As the final activation for the Halodynes, the Ogres approached my tandem of Legios and Carnis. To finish the round, the Carnifexers checked the ranged to the Ogres, finding one of their number in range. They then used Formation Fighting and charged with the cheaper attack. The one Carnifexer that managed to get into range badly hurt the right-side Ogre. The other unit members moved up, and with the remaining action points I attacked the wounded Ogres, finishing off the charged one, and bringing the leader down to just two wounds remaining.

[Image: Y5MIq6B.jpg]

Round 3

This was the round when all the excitement would explode. Even the dice used for the priority roll felt it, as we tied the roll, but the Centurion's higher LEAD broke the deadlock. I activated my Warlord first, using Counteract on the Sons of War (removing their chances at using Killing Blow), then charged the Cerberos, who was threatening my Scorpio. This might have been a mistake, as I was denying myself a strong piece in the middle, but I felt that the Legionnairies should be able to hold up the Sons of War for long enough to allow the Centurion to finish off the beastie and come back.

Well, it did not go too well, as the Cerberos was left with one wound standing (this is becoming a staple of my games), but the Doggie did roll a double one on its first attack so my Centurion was pretty much safe from any damage for this round.

For his first activation, Aras charged with the Syntarch on the Carnifexers. It took him three attacks to take one of the elite soldiers down. Then the Ogres activated, used Circular Slash, and attacked the three remaining Carnifexers, who reciprocated with their stronger attack. The end result was a single Carnifexer left standing with no wounds received, and a beat-up Ogre. In my next activation, I attacked the Ogre with the Carnifexer and finished him off. Then the wizards did some magical thingies, the Scorpio shot and wounded the lead Son of War.

Next, I decided that offense is the best defense and charged the left-side Legionnairies into the Sons of War. Since the one nearest to me was half-dead, I was hoping to at least kill one and have some Legionnairies standing to occupy the Sons until the Centurion could come over and kill them off. What actually transpired blew me away – on the first series of attacks, I missed each every blow. Two Legionnairies were smitten down, and one left barely standing. The next two attacks also failed, and the last Legionnaire (the wounded one fell to another series of counter-blows) failed his morale check.

The last unit of Legionnairies charged the Sons of War and the Syntarch, killing one Son and the Syntarch.

[Image: PKltfAC.jpg]

Round 4

At about this time my memory started getting a bit fuzzy due to my illness and the powerful painkillers I sometimes use. From what I remember, the Centurion finished off the puppy and moved towards the melee on the hill, the Oracle and the Priestess electrified the Legionnairies and remaining Carnifexer, and the Sons finished off the remaining Legionairies from the unit that actually managed to do something. The Owl made a New Year's Eve spectacle of itself, exploding in the face of the Centurion, dealing 4 damage! The one model remaining from the oh-so-glorious charge continued his rout. The Scorpio killed off a Son of War.

[Image: 5vn0r9j.jpg]

Round 5

I shot the Scorpio at the remaining Son, but any damage I dealt was healed up by the Priestess. Then my Centurion approached the Son, hurt him pretty bad. In return, my Warlord got beat up pretty badly, but my Elixir of Life healed my up to nearly maximum life. Also, the one point of damage by which I managed to lower the damage received from the counter-attack actually had a massive impact on the game.

Oh, and the Legionnaire rolled box-cars for regroup, so he continued his mad dash towards home turf.

[Image: gYeCk83.jpg]

Round 6

I managed to win initiative yet again, killing off the Son of War with my Centurion (he was under the effect of Killing Machine and Warcry in each round), but getting a crit to the face and a lot of damage to boot, going down to Seriously Wounded. Then I moved away from the wizards, thinking that if I get charged, then at least I could attempt a clear shot with the Scorpio at the survivor.

Here Aras had a large dilemma, as he didn't know if he could reach my Warlord with the Oracle in HtH. Instead, he decided to cast Killing Machine and Warcry on the Priestess (we measured afterwards and it was 11 inches, exaclty the amount he needed to reach me). With the final two attacks to be made by the Priestess, I felt like fight was going to get carmic payback for my game against Mnil a few weeks back (http://forums.megalith-games.com/showthr...?tid=1365, text under the last photo).

The first attack connected and Aras rolled a 6 and a 1 for damage. With Warcry he re-rolled the one … and got a one, which brought me down to one life point. The final attack … barely missed, falling short of the required score by one point.

And the Legionnaire continued his inglorious journey into the sunset Smile

[Image: DECj4To.jpg]

With the game over, we calculated the points. Before the game, during the smack-talk phase, I told Aras that he is going to lose because of the Sacred Familiar. When we tallied the points, it turned out to be true – if Aras had left his Owl somewhere in the back, he would have won by a few points. Unfortunately, he went off with a bang, hence … ONE HOOT TO FAR Tongue

I really enjoyed playing the Legion sub-faction, the tactical flexibility and staying power really shining in this game. It was also a great experience to finally play without magic, relying exclusively on the power of human muscle and technical ingenuity. The game was also spectacular, as we never really knew what was going to happen. The one mistake that was made was the Ogres going a bit too far, enabling me the first charge and stealing the Ogres' thunder. Also, winning almost all of the initiative rolls helped me influence the flow of the battle, saving my Scorpio, etc.

I must really thank Aras for the game, as it was his miniatures we were using, and he was a very tough opponent to beat. The fact that this was his first game in months also shows his prowess Smile

Thank you for your attention …

To those who are struggling to write a batrep themselves, I have a quoute from Sir Philip Sidney's sonnet cycle entitled “Astrophel and Stella” (Sonnet 1):

“Thus, great with child to speak, and helpless in my throes,
Biting my truant pen, beating myself for spite:
"Fool," said my Muse to me, "look in thy heart, and write."
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 07:59 PM by Meph.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2014 09:14 AM
RE: TOPIC: ONE HOOT TOO FAR – Mortans vs Halodynes 300

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

The pics look awesome, though you leave me guessing about the outcome. Smile

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
12-31-2014 10:51 AM
ONE HOOT TOO FAR – Mortans vs Halodynes 300 - POLL ON RESULT OF MATCH :)

Meph Offline

Well, you just gave me an idea Smile

I've added a poll to the top of the thread, asking who in your opinion won the game. Voting lasts for two days, then I will publish the account of the game itself Smile

Blaze, Celion and Aras are asked not to make any intimations on the result or sneaky comments Tongue
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2014 01:52 PM by Meph.)
01-02-2015 01:17 AM

ArcusCalka Offline

Oh, my ugly face^^

Yep, the pool is quite good idea Big Grin

[Image: poland-userbar.png]
01-02-2015 07:06 PM

Meph Offline

Report completed with descriptions and all the shebang Smile
01-02-2015 07:38 PM

spy Offline

Thank you for the report.
I enjoyed reading it.

And it is "SCHILDKRÖTENFORMATION/SCHILDKROETENFORMATION" (Tortoise Formation) and not "SCHILDKRAEUTERFORMATION" (Sign Herb Formation)... Tongue
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 07:38 PM by spy.)
01-02-2015 07:59 PM

Meph Offline

Changed! Blame the Berliners for their uncanny phonetics (nothing personal MarkgrafgeroTongue) Tongue

@Aras - you don't have an ugly mug, you're just reverse photogenic (politically correct language Tongue)
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 08:03 PM by Meph.)
01-03-2015 02:05 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Great Games guys.

We all love to read battle reports, so would be great to see more.
01-03-2015 02:26 AM

Mnil Offline

wait for my homecoming! Big Grin

[Image: polanduserbar.png]