New to Godslayer (and Banebrood)
Megalith Games - Official Forums

10-01-2014 02:53 PM

Alchemist Offline

Good day, comrades!

I am new to Godslayer, although I have major experience in tabletop wargames, both skirmish (Confrontation, smaller-scale Warmachine) and mass (WHFB, WH40K, WM).

After hesitating a bit I decided to give Godslayer a try and chose Banebrood as my first faction. At the starting point, i'd like to stay on the Beastspawn sub-faction and do not take any Reavers (but who knows, if the game works for me, i might as well stock up on these feral cannibals "humming some Cannibal Corpse lyrics").

Please tell me, are Banebrood that much tactically flexible as I hear people say? I read that while the humble Mongrels are pretty sad stat-wise, spells and plagues turn even them into gore-covered maniacs. Is this corerct and a Banebrood beastspawn can rely on many tactics instead of a suicidal headalong charge?

My first army idea was the Starter deal (the one with Ursapine and a shaman) + additional 4 mongrels (to max the unit) + maximum items/weapons/spells/plagues/etc. to get it all up to 300 points.

Also, since I currently have no actual gaming experience with Godslayer, do Beastspawn have any chances should they fall into prolonged combat?

Thank you!
Pavel
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 04:18 PM by Alchemist.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2014 10:12 AM
RE: New to Godslayer (and Banebrood)

Meph Offline

Welcome aboard Smile

I don't have much experience with Banebrood myself, having played only against the Reaver sub-faction, but in my opinion they hit hard, but need plagues and a high kill ratio to minimize the potential comeback.

I advise you to read the following articles on the Banebrood by David:

http://forums.megalith-games.com/showthr...p?tid=1238
http://forums.megalith-games.com/showthr...p?tid=1286

P.S. Why'd you choose Banebrood ? Smile
10-05-2014 11:05 AM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, Pavel!

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
10-05-2014 12:51 PM

David Offline
Administrator

(10-01-2014 02:53 PM)Alchemist Wrote:  Good day, comrades!

I am new to Godslayer, although I have major experience in tabletop wargames, both skirmish (Confrontation, smaller-scale Warmachine) and mass (WHFB, WH40K, WM).

After hesitating a bit I decided to give Godslayer a try and chose Banebrood as my first faction. At the starting point, i'd like to stay on the Beastspawn sub-faction and do not take any Reavers (but who knows, if the game works for me, i might as well stock up on these feral cannibals "humming some Cannibal Corpse lyrics").

Please tell me, are Banebrood that much tactically flexible as I hear people say? I read that while the humble Mongrels are pretty sad stat-wise, spells and plagues turn even them into gore-covered maniacs. Is this corerct and a Banebrood beastspawn can rely on many tactics instead of a suicidal headalong charge?

My first army idea was the Starter deal (the one with Ursapine and a shaman) + additional 4 mongrels (to max the unit) + maximum items/weapons/spells/plagues/etc. to get it all up to 300 points.

Also, since I currently have no actual gaming experience with Godslayer, do Beastspawn have any chances should they fall into prolonged combat?

Thank you!
Pavel

Welcome Alchemist

There are lots of ways to boost the Beastspawn for example with plagues from the Pestbringer, tactics from the Gorelord and mutation spells from the shaman. They are probably the most stackable subfaction in the game.

They are inherently fast, offensive, and a little squishy, so tend to be played offensively in an all-out Long-legged charge across the table.

However, there are spells to make them harder, and they can definitely be played defensively (see the strategy section of the Mongrels article "Hold the Line" strategy. Guthackers and Skulleaters are long-lasting hard-asses, especially because of the Reaver sub-faction ability which allows them to regain lifepoints.

Banebrood also has the option to play serious scarey Monster warbands with 2 Cyclops 3 Ursapines and a Gorelord.

In future waves we will add a touch of missile weapons to the mix, and a tad more offensive spells, but they will always remain primarily a buffing melee faction.

Wave-2 which is being tested now will introduce a whole new subfaction of Centaurs which is a 100% cavalry subfaction.
10-05-2014 02:06 PM

Alchemist Offline

(10-05-2014 10:12 AM)Meph Wrote:  Welcome aboard Smile

I don't have much experience with Banebrood myself, having played only against the Reaver sub-faction, but in my opinion they hit hard, but need plagues and a high kill ratio to minimize the potential comeback.

I advise you to read the following articles on the Banebrood by David:

http://forums.megalith-games.com/showthr...p?tid=1238
http://forums.megalith-games.com/showthr...p?tid=1286

P.S. Why'd you choose Banebrood ? Smile

I already read these articles and they are outstanding (thank you, David!)!

Why Banebrood? I have enough of various undead (both sneaky - WM Cryx, and lumbering - 40k Necrons), armoured-to-the-toes meat shields (bad - 40k CSM, and good - Confrontation Lions) and orderly/wild elves (Confrontation Cynwall and Daikinee) already =) I wanted to try something purely savage and destructing, lacking any sense of beauty or order.

An image of filthy mongrels dripping with plagues and filth swooping through a ancient greek'esque temple taking it apart and covering white marble with gore is captivating =)
(10-05-2014 12:51 PM)David Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 02:53 PM)Alchemist Wrote:  Good day, comrades!

Thank you!
Pavel

Welcome Alchemist

There are lots of ways to boost the Beastspawn for example with plagues from the Pestbringer, tactics from the Gorelord and mutation spells from the shaman. They are probably the most stackable subfaction in the game.

They are inherently fast, offensive, and a little squishy, so tend to be played offensively in an all-out Long-legged charge across the table.

However, there are spells to make them harder, and they can definitely be played defensively (see the strategy section of the Mongrels article "Hold the Line" strategy. Guthackers and Skulleaters are long-lasting hard-asses, especially because of the Reaver sub-faction ability which allows them to regain lifepoints.

Banebrood also has the option to play serious scarey Monster warbands with 2 Cyclops 3 Ursapines and a Gorelord.

In future waves we will add a touch of missile weapons to the mix, and a tad more offensive spells, but they will always remain primarily a buffing melee faction.

Wave-2 which is being tested now will introduce a whole new subfaction of Centaurs which is a 100% cavalry subfaction.

David, thanks! Will the Beastspawn s-f see any love in the missile department? I'd imagine axe-throwing or spear-tossing mongrels (not accurate, but packing a punch) could pretty well fit into the gameplay... Idea of centaurs is pretty neat, however I'd definitely like to stick to a particular sub-faction at the moment (at least until i get the outstanding models and get them all painted) =)
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 02:10 PM by Alchemist.)
10-05-2014 08:02 PM

spy Offline

Banebrood throwing something?
I don't think so. Smile

IF you charge the enemy and throw an axe at the same time the chargers are at the enemy faster then the axes fly... Wink

No, sereously:
If you throw an axe the distence may be about 4-6 inches (x2). So you have to move very close to the enemy and risk being charged. That is NOT a good idea!
10-05-2014 09:35 PM

Alchemist Offline

(10-05-2014 08:02 PM)spy Wrote:  Banebrood throwing something?
I don't think so. Smile

IF you charge the enemy and throw an axe at the same time the chargers are at the enemy faster then the axes fly... Wink

No, sereously:
If you throw an axe the distence may be about 4-6 inches (x2). So you have to move very close to the enemy and risk being charged. That is NOT a good idea!

Well, thats true... Gorelord-size beasties however should be able to cover a far greater range =) I also thought about a squad of mongrels charging and being killed by their own previously thrown axes =))
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 09:43 PM by Alchemist.)
10-07-2014 08:14 PM

David Offline
Administrator

(10-05-2014 09:35 PM)Alchemist Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 08:02 PM)spy Wrote:  Banebrood throwing something?
I don't think so. Smile

No, sereously:

Well, thats true... Gorelord-size beasties however should be able to cover a far greater range =) I also thought about a squad of mongrels charging and being killed by their own previously thrown axes =))

No plans at this point for Beastspawn Missile troops. Not sure if that will ever happen since it does noit fit well to their mentality. Maybe another character throwing stuff...let's see. Centaurs and Reavers will definitely geta unit each.
10-08-2014 01:47 PM

Alchemist Offline

Thanks, David!

Well, I guess "throwing at someone's throat" will suffice for missile consept =)
10-08-2014 02:30 PM

Phoenix Offline

The Ursapine has a missle attack Tongue
(And the Pleague Bearer, kinda...)

Banebrood are incredible dangerous, especially positioning is key, you can outplay anyone, since you have the first strike (incredible movement range).
Further you can buff your units (and should).
You fear to fall into prolonged combat? Funny, its exactly the opposite.

A few tips:

Plagues are not cost efficient, except the Damage Plague, since it means more damage. Nervertheless, there are a lot of units immun to plagues and it's an overtime effect. In play you will see, after your charge, only a few minatures remain, if the opponent is lucky. Further you require a Plague Bearer, which I have to say his hidden qualities surprise me well, but I don't count plagues to it. I would use the points for better items or a shiny new unit.

Mongrels are .... not my thing. They have no armor and no defense, meaning even weak units can take them out. And you require Plagues. As soon you fight missle units, you are in trouble.

What you can and should take:

Gorelord is just the most amazing hero on the battlefield. Brutal, but deadly all I say. He has the possiblity for one "ultra" charge, killing anything in one single turn! Gorelord stand for getting the job done. If you want to use Plagues, I would take his item!

Guthacker are just amazing, great defense, great utility, circle slash tactic, high magic res and they give your shamane an extra dice. I use THEM instead of Mongrels an so far, holy shit. Since buffing is a good choice, I would use them in a 5/5 unit. I tried 3/5 + 3/5, but buffing takes to much AP.

Ursarpine is a unit, that is underestimated, but in my oppinion, its worth every single point. You posses utility and speed, you can block any path or roll over the shield wall to bind the mage behind it in closecombat (or any other unit).
His stats are normal, nothing special and the ursapine gets easily quashed, BUT any unit with low armor is screwed, since if it attacks you, you deal massiv damage back with its tactic (and you spend not a single AP). For example Mongrels get wasted by a Ursapine.