Mercenary variant
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Mercenary variant
08-03-2014 09:43 PM
RE: Mercenary variant

mavErik Offline

We tried out the Mercenary variant yesterday, and I must say it worked quite well. This first game was not unbalanced by it.

Of course, both players took advantage of certain possibilities, but in the end this had no real impact on the game. (Un)wise decisions and (bad) luck had a far greater effect on the game than the use of "alien" troops!

I'm looking forward to the second round of testing!

~ "I missed him by only mere inchimetres" (famous last words).
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 09:44 PM by mavErik.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014 11:39 AM

udunsflame Offline

@mavErik: Can you post army compositions? I would like to know what you tested. ;-)

Club: The Green Knight
udunsminis
"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it"- Flint Fireforge.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014 12:02 PM

crimsontree Offline

I played Mortan with Banebrood mercs. MavErik played Mortan with Troglodyte mercs. I'll post my warband once I have access to my notes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014 07:18 PM

mavErik Offline

I played:
Mortan
- Mortifex
- Necromagus
- 2 Legio Mortis
- 2 Scorpio's
Troglodytes
- 2 core Ironhide Brutes

I advanced very slowly with my undead (how properly), but - once again - my "wall" was breached by those quick Banebrood. That hedgehog thing threated both my Mortifex and my Necromagus.

With my Scorpio - the one that already killed the Princeptor of the enemy - I tried to shoot the Hedgehog. I missed. Misserably. And killed (eh, shattered) my Necromagus. Then I brought back one of the Legio Mortis and finished off the Hedgehog.

Further, there was much shooting between the Scorpio's from both sides and many models were moved quite a lot.

In the end, my (rather useless) Ironhide brute auxilery troops managed to bring down one of the enemy Scorpio's.

All in all, I won. But Crimsontree fought hard and well (although not necessary honourfull - but what would one expect from Banebrood?)

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 08:39 PM by mavErik.)
08-05-2014 01:34 PM

udunsflame Offline

Thank you for your answer!

I'm not convinced that mercenaries can be an option to play...
But I think thats rather a personal feeling.
I think the creators/writers of Godslayer did an amazing job to make a balanced game. (not thinking about the Oracle at the moment ;-) )

Club: The Green Knight
udunsminis
"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it"- Flint Fireforge.
08-06-2014 10:23 AM

mavErik Offline

That's why we see Mercenaries more as a Scenario than an actual rule change. Or even a house rule...

We played yesterday evening. I played Mortans (many undead) and some Feral Hammerfists as Mercenaries (in the role of Bodyguards). Crimsontree played Banebrood with some (living) Mortan Mercenaries. Thorimo played "only" Nordgaard.

For me, everything went wrong: I did not choose the best end of the table, made mistakes during deployment, broke up my line of defense in two, had bad luck with my dice rolls while Crimstontree was very lucky with his rolls and strangely enough the Feral Hammerfists fumbled more often than they actually hit... On top of that, both Crimsontree and Thorimo attacked me and effectively ignored each other (this was how thing worked out, due to terrain and positioning of the various units/models).

Crimsontree played well, he attacked me head on and with full force. That worked quite well: my Legio Mortis were not able to stop so much dedicated anger. After initially killing his Porcupine, my troups were budgered.

Thorimo did something unusual: he actually moved a lot and came in close combat. He tried to swarm my right hand side of the table and almost succeeded. I almost (but not quite) shot one of his Chainslayers with my Scorpio. Then he moved in...

All in all it was a good evening. Very entertaining and I've learned a lot Smile.
Too bad everything went against me, but such things happen from time to time.

Conclusion about Mercenaries:
Crimsontree used some Mercenaries, but they were not "broken" (they were not too good or disrupting game balance).
Thormimo did not bring any Mercenaries and was rewarded with a certain focus and directness.
I used some Mercenaries and gained almost nothing from them. I think I would have been better off if I had fielded some additional Legio Mortis...

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2014 10:32 AM by mavErik.)
08-06-2014 02:28 PM

crimsontree Offline

MavErik's atrocious luck last nght had more affect on game balance than adding 100 points of mercenaries. Wink