Mercenary variant
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Mercenary variant
07-30-2014 09:27 AM
Mercenary variant

crimsontree Offline

The Godslayer models/unit are great and it's a shame they can only be used if you play a certain faction. My friends and I like the idea of adding other models/units to our warbands. I came up with a simple idea to add an extra dimension to the warband.

A 275 point warband of which 175 points are the same faction/warlord. The other 100 points can be spent on adding mercenary models/units from the other factions. The chosen mercenaries count as friendly for the respective warband.

I chose 275 points because we often play 3 man games and approximately 900 points is doable in one evening. For 2 person games the points allocation would be larger. So for a 500 point warband, 185 points can be spent on mercenaries.

Some factions wouldn't hire mercenaries but they could always enslave others to fight for them.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2014 09:34 AM by crimsontree.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2014 10:39 AM
RE: Mercenary variant

Markgrafgero Offline

The charm of cherrypicking. And you can go for a contest in most evil combination of talents and feats with units which are not made for them.

And you are not going to give people hating you a sharp sword and let them watch your back in combat.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2014 11:19 AM

crimsontree Offline

(07-30-2014 10:39 AM)Markgrafgero Wrote:  And you are not going to give people hating you a sharp sword and let them watch your back in combat.

These guys did:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topi.../mercenary

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Ro...lones.html

http://www.washington.edu/uwpress/search...ALFIG.html

http://www.amazon.com/Slave-Soldiers-Isl...0300024479

& of course:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Unsullied Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2014 12:47 PM

spy Offline

This is just my personal opinion:

I would recommend you creat your own rules.

Imo Mercanaries creat most of the times a problems by change the balance of a game dramatically.
- They give an army what they lack (closing their weak spots) e.g. Archers for close combat armies, cheap units for elite regiments, ...
- They are normally better for certain armies and give little to certain other armies.
or
- You need to creat a lot of special rules just to keep everything in balance.

I know (knew) many games where mercenaries are (were) allowed.
For non of them it was good thing.
E.g.
AT-43 was totally ruined by Mercs (suddenly everybody fielded a certain Killer-Tank).

We still may discuss this topic further.
We just have to consider the consequences for the game... Smile
07-30-2014 12:52 PM

crimsontree Offline

Don't the existing rules for targetting friendly and living/non-living models preclude the need to add special rules? As I stated in my first post, this is a simple rule variant for my group to allow mercenaries. I'm not advocating adding lots of special rules.

As for unblancing the game, I think allowing all warbands to have access to exactly the same models will help prevent major imbalances between warbands.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2014 12:58 PM by crimsontree.)
07-30-2014 09:31 PM

Markgrafgero Offline

Kombo you dont have yet because of good reason are the opposite. The factions have different possibilities to support units. Thatswhy its not balanced.

How about a "very broken Kombo"-contest?

I suggest Sons of War with mortan campaign veteran.
07-30-2014 10:24 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Sounds like fun to me. I mean it allows some really interesting and completely new strategies.

As the others stated, it does create potential imbalance because we have never tested the game with such combinations. So don't hold your breath for an official suplement on this :-) Because we will never sanction that officially.

But it sounds like a really fun way to add even more variety to the game.

We do have some ideas for a potential subfaction of mercenaries (for a distant future wave), which could be used by all factions. Those would be based on actual mercenary cultures in the Godslayer background like Karkhos Nomads, White Horse Animists, Serapian Sell-swords, Tarnatrian sorcerers, Jamjinn Warlocks, various Barbarians, Traders, Pirates, Gladiators, Acrobats etc.
07-31-2014 12:57 AM

crimsontree Offline

Excellent stuff David. I look forward to seeing those mercenaries if and when they arrive.

My mate Bart, our Noordgard player and lover of all things Dwarfen will almost certainly add a Fallow Shaman to his mix. The possibility of seeing his Stumpies with Long Legs gallumping across the battlefield is too good to pass up. It's a bit Gonzo but it'll be fun.
07-31-2014 07:09 AM

spy Offline

Was also the first combo that came into my mind. Wink
08-01-2014 02:01 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Oh man, Einherjer with Long Legs....
Well don't say we didn't warn you :-)