Unit formation (mandatory?)
Megalith Games - Official Forums

07-27-2014 11:43 AM

mavErik Offline

When I read the rules about Unit formation, I am a bit confused.

Page 60 says "To represent unity, all models in a unit must maintain a so called formation". Page 61 sums up the disadvantages of being out of formation (no charge, no ordering or receiving tactics). Page 61 also states that when being out of formation "In this case the unit may try to re-establish thier formation...".

I could read this as: as long as you are willing to endure the disadvantages, you may volentarily break unit formation.

Is this true? Can you volentarily break unit formation and still use the models (except for charging, ordering or receiving tactics, of course).

Or is unit formation mandatory?
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2014 12:51 PM
RE: Unit formation (mandatory?)

spy Offline

Rulebook page 60:

Unit Formation

To represent unity, all models in a unit must maintain a so called formation - all models must be within 2 inches of another model of that unit at the end of each action. This is referred to as Unit Formation and may not be broken voluntarily. A player may always measure the distance between each unit member in order to check the unit formation.

So: you may not break unit formation voluntarily.

But this is checked at the end of each action.
You may break the unit formation during an action to move around an obstacle on the left and the right side. You may also spend e.g. 3 action tokens for movement (which is one action) and move around a wood on both sides.
But at the end the unit formation must be unbroken again.
If you are not able to reastablish unit formation at the end of this action (e.g. your guessing of the distances were wrong) you will suffer all the negative side-effects of broken unit formation.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 01:01 PM by spy.)
08-31-2014 04:57 PM

Sonny Offline

I've got one other question:
Does the unit which is out of formation can perform counter attack (when he was charged) or does he have to re-establish his formation before?
08-31-2014 06:09 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Since a unit is not forced to reestablish coherency while engaged they can make counter attacks as usual, but keep in mind that units out of formation do not benefit from any friendly tactics and must restore the formation once they are not engaged anymore.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
09-01-2014 11:19 AM

udunsflame Offline

(08-31-2014 06:09 PM)Simon Wrote:  Since a unit is not forced to reestablish coherency while engaged they can make counter attacks as usual, but keep in mind that units out of formation do not benefit from any friendly tactics and must restore the formation once they are not engaged anymore.

Hi Simon,

We had an issue on that one last thursday...
If i'm reading correct, you're saying that you do not have to restore unit formation as long as you're engaged???

We thought the rules said, you have to restore unit formation as soon as possible... Even when engaged, if the unit has ACT enough, instead of attacking, they should restore formation. But that is not correct?

Club: The Green Knight
udunsminis
"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it"- Flint Fireforge.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014 01:04 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

First of all being out of formation does not hinder your models from making counter attacks. It is stated in the rules that a unit out of formation can't charge and order / recieve any tactics, but they won't stay still and let themself being butchered without any resistance.

The rules say that a unit is not allowed to break formation voluntarily and thus must end every action in formation if possible.

However melee is wild and confusing and the soldiers lay their attention in cutting down their enemies and avoid such for themselfes rather than keeping formation at all cost. Therefore it was never intended for models to get free strikes due to be forced to leave the enemy's melee reach to restore unit coherency. So as long as the unit counts as engaged it is not forced to restore unit coherency but still suffers the restrictions mentioned above (still it is not allowed to break formation voluntarily!).

09-01-2014 01:16 PM

udunsflame Offline

Ok,

But I'll try to more clear:
5 Gut-Hackers (G) engaged with 3 Ironhide Brutes (B) like this:
G1__G2__G3_GL_G4
__B1__BL_B2
Let's say the Brutes charged....
The Gut-Hackers choose to counter attack.
The Leader and unit member 2 slay Gut-Hacker number 3.
The Gut-Hackers cannot kill any brute (unlogically, but it's an example ;-) )

Both units have ACT enough for a second attack. Can the Gut-Hackers choose to counter attack, or do they first need to regroup???
How is this worked out?
What if they wait for their activation... Can they declare an attack or do they first need to regroup (they are still engaged)...

udunsminis
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 01:17 PM by udunsflame.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014 02:26 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

They are allowed to make counter attacks as long as they have ACT to do so. If they activate later that turn they can do their normal attacks, but can't perform / order / receive any tactics as long as the unit is out of formation. They only have to restore formation once the unit is not engaged anymore.

09-01-2014 02:32 PM

udunsflame Offline

(09-01-2014 02:26 PM)Simon Wrote:  They only have to restore formation once the unit is not engaged anymore.

Thank you very much!
At this moment I'm discussing this with laurens...

So as long as 1 model of the unit is engaged they need not to restore formation. Is the rest of the unit (those who are not engaged) allowed to do other actions??? Like give up on the one in combat and move away?
I don't thinks so... But we wanna be absolutely sure.

2nd special:
These are engaged models: (3 units)
http://www.thegreenknight.be/files/engaged.tiff
The two pink models in the center can voluntarily move to a side to help in combat? And so move out of formation?

udunsminis
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 02:43 PM by udunsflame.)
09-01-2014 04:37 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

No. You may never move out of formation volutarily. So no splitting of units, no abandoning of comrades. None will be left behind Wink

And IF you make a MOV action with an engaged unit, you have to restore the formation if possible, since you have to end the action in coherency. But if you just keep on fighting (e.g. spending your ACT on attacks), you can do so as long as you have enemy models in your reach.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 04:38 PM by Simon.)