Terrain Suggestions?
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Terrain Suggestions?
07-13-2014 02:14 PM
Terrain Suggestions?

martin_m Offline

Hi,
I want to invest in some gaming terrain so my games will look better (the black desk is not the ideal wargaming place ^^).
What kind of terrain do you use and what could you recommend to me?
Hills/Trees/Gaming-mat e.g. pillars
It shouldn't be too extensive, because I want to leave more money for miniatures Smile.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2014 02:43 PM
RE: Terrain Suggestions?

NotAnotherBloodyGnollHorde Offline

Hi martin,

the shop I play at has all the terrain you could wish for, so I am not much pressed to invest time, thoughts, or money in terrain. But as far as I gather, there are basically two options. Either you buy terrain (and, by extension, buildings, ruins, what have you) or you make it yourself. The internet is full of resources for either option. Many people I have talked to have started with aquarium decoration, which is incredible varied and can be included into terrains of your own making, should you feel like taking the parts to your workbench.
As usual, Amazon is a great place to start looking and get some ideas.
A site I have found incredibly inspiring for ideas on how to make your own terrain pieces is the Landscape and construction part of Tutofig, which gathers tutorials from all the usual suspects.
In general, some really good-looking terrain pieces are much easier to build than one would assume. The problem is getting the ideas, and that's where tutofig will definitely help you out. Happy building!
07-16-2014 04:38 AM

Maximus XIII Offline

Just google 'how to make wargaming scenery' and you'll find loads of guides and materials you can use :-)

If you are looking for inspirationi'd reccomend trying to have a look at the Freebooter's fate miniature game. Those guys have made some of the most awsome gaming tables i've ever seen!

Quote:He who stays on the defensive does not make war, he endures it

Club the green knight
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2014 04:40 AM by Maximus XIII.)
07-20-2014 02:55 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Besides gaming hobby stores you can get lots of great terrain modelling supplies from railway hobby shops. In fact they have been building terrain tables and dioramas for decades before wargaming became popular and the railway hobbyists and terrain companies have developed the best products and techniques available today. You can learn a lot from the websites like Noch and Woodland Scenics.

Basic Terrain
For trees I recommend to buy professional trees made by the company Noch or any other model railway model supplier. Go for 10cm high trees. they look the so realistic it really makes the table look great. They can also be mixed with cheaper ones, to create larger woodland areas. Simplest way to use them is glue a few to a base, then cover the base with some kind of flock.

Another option is to put individually trees on bases and put these bases inside a larger forst base. Then you can individually remove trees to get to the miniatures when necessary, but for a skirmish game like Godslayer, that’s rarely necessary.

Hills can be bought from several wargaming terrain companies like Zitterdes (who have a nice range of items).
In terms of buildings there are various options with different proce tags and quality.

For a simple easy solution to get a few scenery items on the table, Petco have some interesting Roman and Greek fish-tank ruins, so do some other aquarium companies. Such items are generally cheap simple bits that can get you started (and set the theme for Godslayer far better than medieval buildings).

There two I found particularly good quality:
http://www.amazon.com/Exotic-Environment...B002WSYCRA
http://www.amazon.com/Exotic-Environment...HFEZ0AG5ZX
http://www.lapwater.co.uk/large-ancient-...6550-p.asp

And they also have some interesting ruins that looks south-east Asian in style. They could also represent one of the many dead cultures of Calydorn.

Pet shops also often have cool rock features for aquariums, which could be nice on a Troglotytes or Banebrood board. like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-cave-ruins-...0756566601
so with a few Aquarium pieces, a couple of hills and a few patches of woodland, you have enough to make a decent looking table with great options for playing.

All you need them is a board to play on. A great simple and cheap options is to buy a roll of static grass and glue it to polystyrene or polyfoam boards. Ideally they would be 24 X 48 inches, and then you just need a 2 of them for a standard table. You can even make a few different ones. The benefit of these is that they are easy to store and cheap and easy to make. The drawback is that they are flat and not detailed.

Professional Terrain
For a professional board you can use the same basic principle. Polystyrene or polyfoam as the base but now we build the bills into the board by layering and sculpting the foam. PVA wood glue is fine for sticking layers together. Then on top of these we put a thin layer of plaster, followed by a coat of green paint. Next you can cover the surface a section at a time with PVA glue and cover it with static grass. Get a puffer bottle form you railway store if you can because this make the grass stick up much better. Using multiple colors and lengths of static grass give more realism – darker in uphill areas, lighter in lowland areas. In the lowest areas use the longest grass.
Model Railway companies also offer tons of awesome bushes, reeds and even flowers. Layer these things one top of each other creating a patchwork of grass and bushes with different colors and heights, then garnish with some flowers.

Okay well that covers a temperate zone. For deserts, snow-scenes and water features there are plenty of tutorials online. Again the railway companies often have the best products for making snow, rivers and other water features.

If you want to buy some great looking Terrain pieces for Mortans, Halodynes and Wyldfolk, I would look at Grandmanner.
Their buildings are listed as 28mm, but most doorways are 30-40mm high, so look really the right scale for Godslayer minis.

Monolith Designs also has a large range of buildings. A lot of these are pretty much true 25mm scale, so a Little small for Godslayer minis in many cases (if you care abouit really accurate scale). If you are not that fussy about true accuracy then Monolith has a wide range. You could also add a layer of bricks under the building to artificially elevate it.
I have items from both companies, and GrandManner is a little more expensive but their products are stronger and larger in my experience.

Stratch-built buildings
You can of course build your own. Of course for this you need knowhow and practice, but its great to give it a try, then watch some tutorials, then tray again, and again. You will find your skill very quickly goes from zero to highly skilled!

Using polyfoam (Styrodor), polystyrene, artist foam-board and balsa wood you can build some great items. If you cover these with a thin layer of plaster they take on a realistic appearance. This takes time and practice but it offers also total control over whatever you want to make. There are some great tutorials on Youtube by Terranscapes. This guy builds terrain professionally for money and he has developed some really great techniques as well as having found excellent materials and tools for terrain building.
Another possibility is to build terrain using bricks cast from plaster. Leading this market is Hirst Arts.

They have a Roman set, which combined with the basic set and the tower set, offers a lot of possibilities for building Roman style structures. With Hirst arts, you buy the molds and then get yourself a bag of plaster of Paris and cast the individual bricks in the mold. They take about 20 minutes to set, then I finish them in the oven for 30 minutes at 80 degrees.

Combining Hirst Arts bricks with Folyfoam and foam board is another possibility.

Tutorials
At the moment I am building some terrain boards and planning on making tutorial videos of what I am doing. Right now I am still doing experimentation, preparation and time-consuming basic work, but in a couple of weeks I will start the first tutorial and I will be sure to post a link in the forum.
07-20-2014 08:05 AM

martin_m Offline

Thank you for the good suggestions about terrain creation.
For the Moment I have bought a grass-matte from Ziterdes and found a old Puzzle-Board in our garret.
And I'm buildung my first Hills with Styrodur. When the third one is finished I will present them here in the Forum.
If you do tutorials I would be very interested in self-creation of greek terrain. The fish-tank ruins look pretty nice but selfmade is better if it looks quite well.
07-20-2014 09:41 AM

laurens Offline

There are companies who produce grass mats on cloth. those are really nice and very easy to use just fold open on a table and you got an instant grass field.
the big advantage is you dont need a permanent gaming tabel, any tabel will do! and it sure beats the usual green cloth. I cant find the producer of those mats, but they are really prime stuff

Club: The Green Knight

"You have to learn the rules of the game.
And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein
07-21-2014 11:21 AM

Markgrafgero Offline

For greek pillars you can use plastic pillars used for wedding cakes. Confectioners shops.
Example:
http://www.amazon.de/Griechische-Tortens...X460KZ16AM
07-22-2014 12:30 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Deep Cut Studio have some gaming mats 4'x4' here
Never seen their stuff in reality but Looks nice from photos.
07-23-2014 02:39 AM

MortanSoundwave Offline

Might I suggest battlefield in a box. It is a decent prepaint and they make badlands hills, escarpments, random scatter terrain rocks, water features, crystals and forests.

"I do not know what drugs the writers of the fluff were on while they were reading Robert E Howard books but they should share"-me when telling friends about the fluff of godslayer