Pestbringer - worth it.
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Pestbringer - worth it.
05-19-2014 03:08 PM
Pestbringer - worth it.

Keeper Nilbog Offline

Ok, Gorelord's out there, a question.

Does the Pestbringer have a place in our forces that can't be covered by other options (Bubonic Fleas on the Gorelord) in a combat heavy force (if lead by a Bisotaur Shaman, he's the only way of getting disease on your Mongrels) ?

I've found him rather lacklustre in his (admittedly few) outings, with his ranged AoE attack being his saving grace. His speed is also a bonus, but long legs can deal with that. Would his points be better spent on a few more Mongrels to boost the core unit.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2014 03:54 PM
RE: Pestbringer - worth it.

Roosta Offline

i think he is absolutely worth the points. spread diseases (i commonly use bubonic plague for direct damage Wink) in the first rounds on mongrels and/or guthackers.

after that he is still a very versatile and fast character with a nice weapon. it ignores shields! very nice against many core units and even the demarchon Wink

i have not used the missile weapon ability yet properly (mostly because of 4" anti-ongoing-effect-talisman on demarchon), but to have that AOE disease effect is pretty nice.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 03:55 PM by Roosta.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2014 04:15 PM

Mnil Offline

with gore lord he is useless, you have plagues from talisman, but to be honest with power of gut hackers you don't need extra dmg from bubonic.

in addition, his aoe attack is poor - 3 inches wide is not enough (sometimes you hit only one model...)

he is going to be usefull with Bisotaur Warlord, so probably next year Wink

[Image: polanduserbar.png]
05-19-2014 04:57 PM

Zeria Offline

I find the pestbringer a must against shield wall units, as they are hanging around base to base you usually hit at least 3 even with a scatter with his ranged attack and then if its bubonic plague you do direct damage there and then and again when they activate if they don't get rid of it or knock them down and greg rid of their shield wall benefits and charge with other units. Its the bane of legionnaire's in my experience.

"So you want to save Prince Albert and decide the fate of hong kong, by playing a game of cricket agaisnt Fu-man-chu?....hand me another beer and i will see what i can do"
05-19-2014 06:07 PM

Mnil Offline

so, you want to hit legionnaires with 15 def or hoplites with 14?

yeah, great idea, very easy to score 10 or 9 with long range attack.

05-19-2014 06:34 PM

Christian Offline

you only need to roll 2 less then needed to hit the model intendet! So if you need a 9 a 7 is enough, so that the scatter does not deviate too far.
05-19-2014 06:35 PM

NotAnotherBloodyGnollHorde Offline

(05-19-2014 04:57 PM)Zeria Wrote:  I find the pestbringer a must against shield wall units, as they are hanging around base to base you usually hit at least 3 even with a scatter with his ranged attack and then if its bubonic plague you do direct damage there and then and again when they activate if they don't get rid of it or knock them down and greg rid of their shield wall benefits and charge with other units. Its the bane of legionnaire's in my experience.

After I broke my teeth against a testudo'ed legionnaire unit in my first game ever, I am really looking to infect them with whatever the pest bringer has to offer...this is going to be great...
05-31-2014 02:03 AM

David Offline
Administrator

I have mostly been on the receiving end of the Pestbringer, and I found him exceedingly frustrating. Because of Deviation rules his attack can miss but still end up hitting 2-3 hoplites in Phalanx.

With knockdown effect of the Black Plague, The Phalanx gets broken and I waste a Point to stand them up, then next round still Need to pass an expiry test or they fall down again.

I remembermy Phalanx being hit in such a way right before the Charge of a unit of Mongrels. they fell on the knocked-down models and buthered them while also kicking the models at the edge of the break because they also lost their Pahalanx.

I beieve this is his greatest strength. Then at the end of the game he tends to get committed to desperate melees, and can tip the Balance. Besides that he can be used to search hidden markers and to secure Scenario objectives.

That said, as a Banebrood Player, I usually prefer to take extra troopers instead, simply because I like large Units. I tend to use him only for fun and novelty in the occasional game.

Still I always take plagues with Beastspawn warbands (though the Bubonic Fleas item of the Gorelord). It such a waste not to plagues.
05-31-2014 01:13 PM

Mnil Offline

Unfortunately hoplites in Phalanx usually play with halo ward ring on their warlord Wink

06-01-2014 11:41 AM

Roosta Offline

(05-31-2014 01:13 PM)Mnil Wrote:  Unfortunately hoplites in Phalanx usually play with halo ward ring on their warlord Wink

yep, big problem Big Grin

have to charge the warlord first Wink
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 11:42 AM by Roosta.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply