My Halodyne experiences
Megalith Games - Official Forums

My Halodyne experiences
05-19-2014 02:12 PM
My Halodyne experiences

Silver_skates Offline

With very little action on the Halodyne boards I've decided to post my trials and tribulations with my Halodyne force as I fight battles and expand. My hope is that people have a read and try and point my in the right direction of what to tweak, add and drop. Any advice is appreciated but I would prefer not to spam units. The collector in me doesn't like have multiples of units. For example, I only want one unit of Hoplites up to a maximum of 10. Whether that's viable or not, that's just how I feel.

So, I had my first game this weekend. I was expecting to face 200 points of Wyldfolk but at the last minute it was changed to Banebrood. My force was as follows:

- Demarchon w/ Doru, Mirror shield, Wristband of salvation, Potion of Argathon & Ambulent of mist.
- Syntarch
- Sanctum Priestess w/ Healing Hands, Chain Lightning and Killing Machine
- Min unit of Hoplites

I really enjoyed the game which came down to a final roll of the dice. The only survivors at this point were the Gorelord and my Priestess. Had I rolled an 8 for my chain lightning damage on the Gorelord he would have died and I would have won. As it turned out, I rolled a 6 and the Gorelord got to charge. I think we all know how that worked out.

In regards to my thoughts so far:
- I felt the Demarchon worked really well. A well timed "Defiant in Death" meant that my Syntarch survived a turn that should have tied up the Gorelord (as it was a whiffed my free strike roll). Also, the tactic that boosted my Hoplites attacks was benficial to finishing off the Mongrels. I should learn to pass the extra action to my hoplites so that they can attack twice and use phallanx afterwards. Forgetting to use my potion of Argathon when fighting the Gorelord was a pretty bone-headed manouvre too!
- The Syntarch was a little disappointing but I think that's because I didn't use him effectively. That will come I'm sure.
- The Priestess was great and she was nearly the unlikely hero! My spell rolling was apalling but I liked that loadout of spells. Had the Gorelord not been a killing machine Healing Hands should have kept the Demarchon in the fight and I need to cast and sustain Killing Machine on my Hoplites as soon as possible. Also, I realise that +1 from concentration is surprisingly vital to getting spells off.
- The Hoplites took a charge from a bubonic bunch of Mongrels and didn't take any damage (thanks to some lucky rolls). However, once the phallanx was broken they were fodder to the angry Gorelord.

If there was an MVP of the game it had to be the Gorelord. He was devestating and did 90% of the Banebrood's damage. Abosolutely terrifying.

Next up is the rearranged battle vs the Wyldfolk and a chance to put some of my theories into action.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 02:33 PM by Silver_skates.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2014 02:56 PM
RE: My Halodyne experiences

Keeper Nilbog Offline

As the player of the BaneBrood, I don't think you did much wrong - with the possible exception of the Syntarch being to far back that I could charge in without him countercharging.

From my point of view (Force was Gorlord - Axe & Pick/Gut Plate (great item)/Bubonic Fleas - Bubonic Plague/Fleshmorph Draft, Pestbringer - Bubonic Plague, Fallow Shaman - Long Legs, and 4 Mongrels), the Pestbringer was a waste of points (but that could be down to how I used him). Agree with the Gorelord as the MVP - Bloodthirsty is amazing when in amongst troops.
05-20-2014 11:31 AM

Silver_skates Offline

Had I put Defiant in Death on the Hoplites before the Gorelord charged I would have completely blunted it. Live and learn.
05-27-2014 02:24 PM

Silver_skates Offline

Had my second game this past weekend against the Wyldfolk which resulted in a win.

The list was as follows:
- Demarchon w/ Bronze Spear, Hoplon, Helm of Gods, Potion of Argathon, Ambulet of Mist
- Syntarch
- Priestess w/ Healing Hands, Chain Lightning and Killing Machine
- Hoplites x 6

Main points of action during the game:
- Buffing the Hoplits turns them into a moster unit. Defiant in Death (from Demarchon) and Killing Machine (from Priestess) plus an extra action from the Demarchon meant they charged into the Bladslingers and hit hard (taking out 4) for one soldier who was not removed until the next turn; Phallanxed up for extra survivability and then attacked again. That move more or less won me the game. (cue finding out I can't do that in a game)
- I forgot to use the Priestess ability to reduce damage to one, so she got killed off rather quickly. Can't make that mistake again. However, Killing Machine is an awesome spell on the Hoplites.
- Demarchon was killed off by the Pendrake but the Syntarch avenged his leader. The Demarchon really makes the Hoplites tick though with Defiant in Death. However, I forgot to use my potion AGAIN!!!
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 02:27 PM by Silver_skates.)
05-31-2014 01:38 AM

David Offline
Administrator

- I felt the Demarchon worked really well. A well timed "Defiant in Death" meant that my Syntarch survived a turn that should have tied up the Gorelord (as it was a whiffed my free strike roll). Also, the tactic that boosted my Hoplites attacks was benficial to finishing off the Mongrels. I should learn to pass the extra action to my hoplites so that they can attack twice and use phallanx afterwards. Forgetting to use my potion of Argathon when fighting the Gorelord was a pretty bone-headed manouvre too!
Yes, the Demarchon is a multi-function warlord who 60% buffer and 40% melee warlord. You can use him in either role or in both, but to get the most out of him you really need to equip him for the specific role. Generally I use him as buffer for 4 turns and melee warlord for the end of the game, and I equip him for that. On his own he is not a super-hero, and his stats are pretty average for a warlord, but he has Access to tons of cool stuff, and when using his Archilochos ability to join a phalanx, he becomes a real tank.

[b]Warlord Assasin[/b]
Equip your Demarchon with the Waters of Truth – Once per game the bearer gains +1 to all basic stats. Combine this with the Power Crystal, giving you up to 9 ACT with +1 to all stats. Equip him with the Spiked Aspis (free automatic attack) and the Cerberos Girdle allowing you to buy damage dice with ACT. Arm him with the Doration of Swiftness. You now have the perfect combination to make your Demarchon an enemy-warlord-assassin on steroids!

Place your warlord in a tempting position to be charged by the enemy warlord at the end of the round, and place your Syntarch/s a few inches away.

Now he will either ch
arge you or you charge him. Let’s assume he charges you. Your Syntarchs auto-matically activate in a passive activation, and charge the enemy warlord, fighting first due to the +1 strike rank. Then you get to make an attack because of your +1 strike rank. So that’s 2 attacks at MEL 8 and POW 4 plus your warlord’s attack with Normal MEL 8 and POW 4, but you can increase the damage to 3D6 because of the girdle, then you can immediately make an additional POW 2 damage roll.

Take the Paltron spear – This is the one that has the 1 ACT attacks option at POW 2 when used at RNG 1. Combine this with the Potion of Argathon (+2 to
damage rolls). Cast Killing Machine (giving him greater chances to hit by rolling three attack dice and using the two highest) and Warcry (re-roll one die of each damage roll)

Charge a unit with your Syntarch first then the Demarchon should charge the same unit, thereby bene-fitting from Vanguard Valor.
Now your Warlord will be making up to 7 attacks (including 1 slay movement attack) at MEL10 (on best of 3D6) and with a POW of 5 (with reroll). That’s a mince-meat grinder!

He will likely hit with every attack, and generally cause 6+ points of damage. Against standard units like Mongrels, Kinswords, Reaver Tribesmen, Gnolls, Bladeslingers etc he will kill on model with every attack. For tougher models he should use the Cerberos girdle to add 1D6 to the damage.

Against standard units, he will probably kill 5-6 models. Against elites and heavy troops he will proba-bly take out 3-4. In either case, this was a massacre worthy of an epic poem!

As a note, it is best to place him in melee range with only one model at first and definitely use the Cerberos girdle for the extra D6 damage in the charge attack. This way you will be sure to kill the first model and gain Slay movement (a free attack and 1D3 movement). Now move into melee range with two models and kill them, then move once into MEL range of 2 models and kill them. In this way you protect your Demarchon from a massive amount of counter-attacks by keeping him in range of only two enemy models. So of the potential 11 ACT, I recommend to use two of them for movement and the rest for attacks (plus the slay movement of course).

- The Syntarch was a little disappointing but I think that's because I didn't use him effectively. That will come I'm sure.

Key to the successful use of the Syntarch is his Counterstrike tactic.
He's also no superhero, but he can be effectively buffed with tactics and spells. However, this guy is really a buffer character, and only Looks like a melee character. Vanguard Valor, Paean, Sunblind and Counterstrike are all for buffing the warband.

- The Priestess was great and she was nearly the unlikely hero! My spell rolling was apalling but I liked that loadout of spells. Had the Gorelord not been a killing machine Healing Hands should have kept the Demarchon in the fight and I need to cast and sustain Killing Machine on my Hoplites as soon as possible. Also, I realise that +1 from concentration is surprisingly vital to getting spells off.

Without an Animated Statue or Sacred Familiar, Trance is a sure Thing to use every time.

- Buffing the Hoplits turns them into a moster unit. Defiant in Death (from Demarchon) and Killing Machine (from Priestess) plus an extra action from the Demarchon meant they charged into the Bladslingers and hit hard (taking out 4) for one soldier who was not removed until the next turn; Phallanxed up for extra survivability and then attacked again. That move more or less won me the game. (cue finding out I can't do that in a game)
Yes and this is one of the key mechanics of the game - buffing a unit of models multiplies your Action Tokens. For example, you use a 1 ACT ordered tactic on them and a 2 ACT spell and an assigned Action toke on a unit of 10 hoplites, and you have spent 4 ACT, but in effect you got 40 ACT worth of effect from it, so you effectively gained 36 ACT.
11-10-2014 03:46 AM

Jango1978 Offline

My Killing Machine - Demarchon -is

Bronze Spear
Potion of Arghaton
Hoplon
Helm of The Gods
Amulet of Mist

Charging with POW 8 3 Atk, Mel.9 Def.15 Arm.9 No critical effects

[Image: banner.png]