my 300 points troglodytes army
Megalith Games - Official Forums

05-01-2014 03:47 AM

artdieart Offline

here is my 300 points list i'd like to know what you guys think or have any sugjestions

warlord : duskborn chieftain 54 points
suit of armour : thick hide 6 points
heavy morning star pairs: blackseel morning stars 7 points
---

i never leave without his thick hide i love the item. Armour 10 and 21 life points and d3 regeneration makes him tanky also carnage is an awsome tactic for the ironhide brutes. I used to always take shadecrushers buth i am 1 point shy in this list.

5 iron hides brutes
---

just a good unit can take some damage and if they are great vs units with shields and i like the critical knock down

feral fleshpunder
---

can 1v1 any character and is a bigg threath. i use his as bait so my enemy unit will have this guy on their flank if they charge him get the ironhide brutes in the front.

3 skullsmasher oakbows
---

i just want a ranged unit that can weaken single models of kill of a unit model once in a while. just make sure you dont get hit back from arrows because every hit is a kill. In the past i used longshadows for some ranged attacks buth i found them to expensive and to short ranged for my liking in larger games i will field 2 units of oakbows.

2 lighteaters
---

just the 2 tactics are to awsome to leave at home. eclipse is great to block off charges and ranged attacks from your units and allows such bigg tactical plays. shroud of blackening is also good and can find its uses. to bad though this army has low leadership and 0 musicians.
the combat of the lighteaters is not that great buth it can support other combat units, the power D6 rule makes it that i normaly dont count on their combat damage because its a bit to random.

well that whas it i hope you guys liked it.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2014 10:19 PM
RE: my 300 points troglodytes army

David Offline
Administrator

I like it, but I would absolutely include a Packlasher. His wWhiplashing tactic combined with an ACT from the Warlord means the Oakbows can shoot twice per round.

For 24 points you double the effectiveness of your 39 Point Oakbows. you can also use him to engage Bloodvargs, Ursapines and Cerberois which have been sent to hunt down the Oakbows. He's not gonna stop any of These beasts in their tracks, but he can slow it down to give you an extra round of Shooting.
05-04-2014 01:46 AM

artdieart Offline

most of the times i dont keep my warlord near the oakbows and i dont think i can fit a packlasher in 300 points maybe in bigger games.

a friend of mine which i usely play against plays halodynes with a unit of 10 hoplites a unit of 6 hoplites a demarchon and 2 syntarch and i realy struggle vs his total defense 14 army. the oakbows rarely hit. same goes for the fistpownder. the ironhide brutes do ok ty to the flails buth cant win vs these 2 units. i try to vision block 1 of the units with the lighteater haze effects so he can not charge buth he just walks into his 2 inch combat range.

i think ill need more AoE somehow so i whas thinking of taking the obsidean nightmare with some AoE damage..

do you guys have anny tips how to play vs this ? i think ill somehow need more flails buth i want to keep the army ballanced for when i dont play vs halodynes or other lists.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2014 01:49 AM by artdieart.)
05-04-2014 10:42 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Oakbows using the Bracebow ability have a MIS of 6 so against DEF 14 they need 8's to hit. that's a 41.64% Chance of hitting.

If you dont like the shooting twive per round option, then use Estimated Shot tactic. this means that any shot that misses will deviate by D6 inches. Against a tightly bunched warband (like Hoplites in Phalanx) this can give you some extra hits quite easily.

The Fleshpounder has MEL 6, so with Offensive Fighting Style or Charge Bonus, he will be hitting DEF14 on 7+ (58.3% Chance of hitting with up to 5 attacks per round. Consider taking 2 Fleshpounders.

Additionally, the Midnight Blessing spell gives +1 MEL, so you can easily buff your troops with +2 MEL if you use this and Offensive Fighting Style

Moonstone Comet is a 4 inch AOE spell attack.

However, your idea to take more Ironhide Brutes is absolutely fine. Because of their "Ignore Shilds" ability, they work excellently against Hoplites, Legionnaires, Legion Mortum, Fjell Warriors, Kinswords, Demarchon and Centurion. By negating the shield Bonus they effectively gain a +1 MEL and +1 POW Bonus. Against Legionnaires and Hoplites the bonus is even better!

Additionally, because of the the Ironhide Brutes "Savage Pride" ability, they also get +1/+1 nagainst the following models:
Hill Ogres, Amazons, Cerberos, Animated Statue, Guthackers, Fallow Shaman, Pestbringer, Bisotaur Shaman, Gorelord, Ursapine, Cyclops, Scorpio, Moloch, Catapult, Fjellgangr, Bloodvarg, Valkyrie, Chainslayer, Megalith and Beasthunter. Not to mention of course other Brutes, Grayhorns, Shadow Trolls, Obsidian Nightmare, Lighteater, Hammerfist, and Fleshpounder.

So if you add those together, that's 34 models/units agsinst which they gain a minimum of +1/+1 Bonus. That's half the models in Wave-1 of Godslayer. (The Poor Valkyrie suffers from both abilities).

So in that respect I find Ironhide Brutes very versitile and useful against most factions and warbands.

Therefore I see no reason why you should not take a second unit of Brutes.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2014 10:44 PM by David.)